Chapter 4

The hunt was a complete success. Edward and Randolf both carried two large deer kills they had made in their talons, and the flock was now bringing the kills back to the den. The two large males dropped the deer at the entrance of the cave, as Hannah and Thora came out, eagerly sniffing the bodies. The rest of the flock landed and circled the kills with wild, hungry eyes. Naturally, alphas eat first. Edward happily tucked in, and Rebecca stepped forward to help herself too. Edward snarled at her, and signalled for Randolf to come and eat with him. As he did so, Rebecca took this as a signal that she was kicked out. She hissed at the flock before flying off into the distance.

"Edward...what was all that about?" Randolf asked, gulping down a slab of meat.

"She was testing my patience, and I refuse to tolerate her attitude anymore."

"Hrrmm...okay, so what does that make me?"

"If you must know, that makes you my new alpha."

Randolf purred as he flushed a bright red, grinning at the honour. 

"O-oh, well thank you!"

"And you know what that means, don't you?" Edward's voice was now in a hushed whisper, not wanting the flock to listen in on their conversation.

Randolf looked at him with a blank expression. Edward chuckled and rolled his eyes. 

"I'll show you later."

After eating their fill, the two of them stepped away from the kills, letting the rest of the flock tuck in. They went deep into the cave, into the large chamber with a beautiful blue pool. This place was reserved for the alphas, seperated from the others in complete secrecy. 

"Woah..." Randolf looked around with wide eyes, admiring the chamber. 

"I see that you like it." Edward smiled and lay by the pool, joined by Randolf.

"So what was it that you wanted to talk to me about? Why have you made me an alpha?"

"I...admire you. In a way I have never admired anyone else. As I have mentioned, I have no interest in females. I accepted that I would simply never find a mate. But you..."

"A-are you asking what I think you are?"

"Yes, Randolf. I would love more than anything to be your mate. I pray that you will return my affections.."

"Edward...o-of course!" Randolf purred loudly and nibbled at Edward's pointed ear. "S-so...how about we make this official?"

Edward grinned and hoisted himself up.

"Of course."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Edward? What's happening in there?" Hannah pawed at the entrance to the chamber, whining. Edward nudged it open, looking weary.

"What is it, Hannah? Should you not be watching the cubs?"

"I-I am, but I want to know what on Alfheim is happening with the hierarchy here. We have no alpha female-!"

"Calm yourself, Hannah. Randolf shall be taking Rebecca's place."

"Randolf? But he's--"

"I know, a male. Why does it matter, as long as you have the two alpha figures? W-we are mates now, please accept it."

"Y-y-you two have mated?!"

Edward snapped at her, pacing now.

"What's done is done, Hannah. Should you not accept us as your alphas I will send you on your way, understand?"

Hannah gulped and nodded, dashing away from the much larger male.

"We are one weird flock.." She whispered to herself, as she dropped a slab of meat for the cubs to eat.