Chapter 8

Edward was curled up in his cave. Randolf nudged him gently, purring loudly. Edward lifted his head and the two eagerly licked at each other's faces. It was a hot day, and the flock was calmly lounging around in the cool air of the cave. The alpha pair lay side by side, leaning against each other. They were one of the few pairs to embrace the fact that there was more to being the alpha pair than protecting the flock and mating with each other. While these things may have been important, they actually got to know each other. There was obviously more to an individual than their physical features. They nuzzled and preened each other, rarely spending a moment apart. Edward was in bliss, this was all he ever could have wanted.

But dreams don't last forever.

Edward was jolted out of his sleep for the third time in the past hour by Cody's talking. Edward was confused, this person he was merged with was asking the moon why he had done this to him, sobbing and still clinging to his broken staff. During his time back on Alfheim, Edward had learnt a lot about reading people. He looked at Cody, and saw a shell. A shell of a boy that wanted respect and wanted to be noticed.

"...do you have a family, Cody?"

"H-huh? Family? No...I don't have anyone...I play it solo." Cody grunted through his tears. He brought himself together and got up, putting the staff in his backpack. He wandered through the countryside for a while, having a mental conversation with Edward.

"So where are you from, big guy?"

"I am from Alfheim. It's a wonderful world...and I miss it with all my heart."

"Huh...I never thought of harpies 'dat way.."

"I had a perfect mate and everything...sigh...so what about you, Cody? Do you have a mate?"

"Bah, me? Nah. I've never been involved in tha whole romance stuff. I've never found anyone worth fightin' for. So I work alone, and I like it 'dat way."

"Hm...I think you should look for someone to love. I don't think anyone should be alone."

"Nng...I'll think about it. But only if I find someone decent."

"Fair enough."

Cody settled down by a tree to rest, looking sadly up at the moon.