Arriving on Sodor

The day had come. You woke up bright and early. You ate two pieces of buttery toast with eggs and bacon, cleaned yourself up, got dressed and headed out. You took a cab since you didn't feel like taking your car as you expected to be respectfully away for a long time. When you arrived at the station, there were a lot of people around, waiting for their trains to come. You looked over to a clock above. It read 10:23 am. You suddenly got nervous. Your grip tightened around your suitcase. You took off your hat and blew some wind in your face to calm your nerves a bit. As a few more minutes passed, a whistle came. A blue LB&SCR E2 Class steam locomotive pulled up pulling two coaches behind itself. It blew its whistle once more.
"All aboard for Knapford Station!", a conductor said.
Most of the people on the platform made their way on as you did the same. You found a window-seat near the back in the second coach. The conductor blew his whistle followed by the train's whistle and set off. You watched the station become distant behind you and open to the land around. The train passed by farmland, smaller towns and over bridges. After a few minutes, you decided to relax and laid back in your seat. You reached into your pocket and pulled out the letter. You read it over again. You still didn't think this was real, even though you were on the train going there. It just seemed so...surreal. The train made it to a bridge overlooking a river of water about half an hour later. You were now on Sodor. More tracks became apparent as more trains appeared. Some were pulling other coaches or trucks filled with different materials. It felt like a dream from your childhood. You looked in awe at the scenery around you. The train then stopped at some stations, none of which were yours. People got out, making the train seem less crowded, which it was. At last, the train pulled into Knapford Station. The train blew its whistle as the remaining passengers made their way off. You got off too, waiting until everyone else got off, as you were too busy taking in the station. You weren't looking where you were stepping and accidently tripped getting on the platform. You braced your fall but, in the process, you had to let go of your suitcase which slid and flipped open, causing some of your clothes to spill out onto the platform. Your hat also got casted into the wind, falling in front of you. You looked up, sighing at yourself.
"I'm the epidemy of human existence", you mumbled to yourself. You were glad no one saw you. You went to stand.
"Uh...need a hand?", a voice said kindly.
You looked up to see a medium-sized figure in front of you with it's hand out towards you. You took it as the figure helped you to stand back up. 
"Thank you", you said still feeling embarrassed about your fall.
You could now see that the figure was a conductor of some sorts. He had on a uniform and hat that matched the train. His skin was sun-kissed with black hair peeking out from under his hat and soft hazelnut eyes that met yours.
"Oh, let me get that for you!"
He bent down and picked up your hat and gave it to you gently with a smile.
"Thanks", you said softly. You looked over to your clothes and suitcase. "Sorry about the mess. I guess I wasn't looking where I was going."
The Conductor chuckled. "It's ok", he said kindly.
You both squat down to pick the items up and stuff them back into your suitcase. As you did, he struck up a conversation with you.
"I take it you don't travel much", he chuckled.
You smiled. "Yeah, I... I don't."
The conductor then sprung into introducing himself. "Oh, I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Thomas. Thomas Hay."
He reached his hand out to yours. You didn't know why, but that name sounded familiar to you. You took his hand as you introduced yourself. "I'm Y/n. Y/n + L/n."
"Y/n? Nice to meet you!" He turned and pointed to the train behind him. "I'm the driver of the train you just rode", he said.
"Oh", you said. "Well, thanks for the smooth, non-bumpy ride then."
Thomas chuckled. "Well, your very welcomed!"
You both stood up, having finished cleaning up the mess as all the clothes and other items were now back in the suitcase. "Thanks again for the help", you said.
Thomas smiled. "It was nothing, really."
The sound of a clock ringed. Thomas reached into his pocket and pulled out a pocket watch. "Oh, look at the time! Gotta go. I got some more rounds to run", he said turning to his train.
"Enjoy the rest of your day!"
He blew his train's whistle and pulled out.
"You too!", he called out before disappearing into the distance.
You surveyed the area around you, looking for where Sir Topham Hatt's office could be. You then saw a guard and walked over to him.
"Um, excuse me", you said lowly. The guard looked over to you.
"I'm here looking for a 'Sir Topham Hatt'". You showed him the letter. He then lead you into a building up a flight of steps. He opened a door.
"Excuse me Sir, you have a visitor."
A black chair near a brown desk turned around to show Sir Topham Hatt. He smiled once he saw you.
"Oh, Y/n! I'm so glad to see you." He stood up, grabbing his top hat and put it on as he made his way towards you. "Tell me, how was your trip here?"
You smiled. "It went very well", you said. 
"That's good", Sir Topham Hatt chuckled, putting his hand on your shoulder. He dismissed the guard then walked back over to his desk.
"I was a bit worried you'd miss the train or something", he chuckled.
You chuckled too. "Well, I usually am very alert and on time when it comes to tasks and reminders", you said.
"I see. And that's why I need someone like you to work on my railway!", Sir Topham Hatt boomed cheerfully. "Someone who will always be there and on time. That is why I have called you to be an assistant here to the railway."
You didn't expect him to say that but were relieved as you didn't know much about trains, expect from what you father would tell you. "Oh, what exactly is it that I'll be doing then?"
"You will help others make sure they have what they need. I have an entire schedule planned out for you."
He walked over to his desk and handed you a paper.
"I'm going to have you work in the morning in the shunting yard, ensuring all the coaches and trucks are set up for the others to use. Then", he continued as you looked over the paper.
"In the afternoon, you'll be on conductor duty, making sure the engines pulling coaches are arriving and departing on time. Then in the evening-" He looked to you. "Since your new, you'll have the evenings off, for now", he chuckled.
You smiled and looked back over the paper.
"I see. I'll.... I'll do my best!"
Sir Topham Hatt smiled. "I'm glad. I knew you'd be the perfect fit, being someone who's efficient and helpful."
You smiled. "Yeah. I.... kind of got that from my father."
Sir Topham Hatt looked to his window, overlooking the yard.
"Your father", he said lowly. "He was a good man. One of my best friends."
You looked down to the ground. Sir Topham Hatt looked over to you. "How long has it been since he left for sea?"
You looked up to him. "About 15 years now", you said dryly.
Sir Topham Hatt looked back out towards his window.
"I'm sure he'll return one of these days. He.... he just has to", he finished before turn back towards you. He walked over and put a hand on your shoulder.
"Your father will be back soon enough, Y/n."
You looked to him and smiled weakly.
"I hope so too."
Sir Topham Hatt released his hand off your shoulder.
"In the meantime, I think it's time we get you set up."
-------------------------------------------------------
Sir Topham Hatt and his guards lead you to a large boarding house that looked like that of a college dorm.
"This is where you will stay along with the other drivers", he said walking you in.
You were a bit confused.
"But Sir, I'm not a driver. I'm just a helper."
Sir Topham Hatt laughed. "Don't be so daft Y/n. All my important workers stay here and as far as I'm concerned, you are just as important."
You smiled sweetly. "Thank you, Sir", you said.
"Besides, you'll met them at the 'Welcoming Celebration' for you this evening!"
You were shocked. "We-Welcoming Celebration?..Fo-For me?"
"Of course."
"But.... I'm nothing... special."
Sir Topham Hatt laughed. "Of course you are Y/n! You don't need to be so harsh on yourself. Besides, maybe they'll learn a thing or two from you about how to be really useful."
The tour continued to the lounge area where three big couches were circled around a small table. To its right was a narrow outline that lead to the kitchen/ food area. You then all went up a flight of steps to the second floor, which you all stayed on. Sir Topham Hatt lead you to a door with the numbers '207' above it. He stopped and turned to you.
"Here it is", he said.
You smiled and grabbed the golden door handle. You pushed it open to see the room within. On the right of the room was a desk with a mirror next to a bedstand beside a large bed a lined with a window. On the left were two doors, presumably one a bathroom and the other a closet. You stepped in further to get a feel of the room better.
"It's.... it's perfect", you said.
You heard Sir Topham Hatt chuckle. "I'm glad. The bed was made up before you came."
You smiled still looking around the hotel-like room. "I... I can't thank you enough, I-"
You were at a complete loss for words. You couldn't help but hug Sir Topham Hatt and his pudgy body. He eventually hugged you back. You realized you were being very unprofessional as this person was going to be your future boss, so you pulled back, embarrassed.
"So-sorry Sir", you said.
He just chuckled. "It's quite alright, Y/n", he said. "We'll leave you to get set up. And remember, your 'welcoming celebration' is this evening at 6:30 PM. I'll see you again then. Farewell!"
Sir Topham Hatt left as his guard closed the door behind himself. You were left in the room to your own devices. You placed your suitcase down on the bed and looked around the room once more. There was a clock present in the room near the door. It was only 12:45 PM. You had hours before the event, so you decided to get your things put away in the meantime.