Halloween

"Express engine coming through!", Gordon boomed.
"How many times am I gonna have to hear you say that?", you said walking over to his cab.
He huffed. "I guess not everyone appreciates what I do for this island."
You sighed frustratingly. "It's not that. It's just, your attitude needs working on. Like Sir Topham Hatt said himself, 'perhaps I'll be able to teach you all a thing or two."
Gordon laughed. "Like that's going to happen!"
You blew your whistle.
"An express engine driver like myself doesn't need your help", he said as he pulled away, blowing his whistle.
You watched, irritated.
"......Right", you said.
You turned and bumped into something. You regained your balance and looked to see it was Percy. You had made him drop his mail on the platform.
"Oh, sorry Percy!", you said kneeing down to pick up the mail. "I wasn't paying attention."
He kneed down too.
"It's ok, Y/n!", he said cheerfully. "Wouldn't be the first time I dropped mail!"
You smiled. You had a pile of mail in your hands and placed it into his bag.
"Thanks!", Percy said with a beaming smile.
"It was nothing, Percy", you said, playfully rubbing his head.
Percy giggled. "Y/n!", he laughed.
You pulled your hand back and chuckled.
"So, got any mail for me today?"
Percy shook his head. "Nope, not today. But there is something else......"
You raised your eyebrow. "Which is?"
"A Halloween party!", he peeped happily. "Toby is having one at his station tonight. And he invited me!"
You smiled. "That's.... that's great Percy! You seem really happy about it."
"Oh, I am! Halloween is one of my favorite nights. Aside from Christmas Eve of course!"
You laughed at his excitement. Percy truly was a kid at heart. Due to this, you saw him like a little brother you never had.
"Well, I'm sure you're gonna have a lot of fun!"
Percy then looked to you, almost sadly.
"Y/n. I was wondering if maybe you.... wanted to tag along?"
"Me? Really?"
Your eyes wondered around. "Well, I don't know, Percy. I think I'll have to take that up with Sir Topham Hatt."
"Take what up with me?", a voice said.
You and Percy turned to see Sir Topham Hatt walking over to you.
"Of course you can go, Y/n. Besides, it is almost Halloween night!"
You smiled weakly. "Yes, but. Don't you need someone to stay behind and make sure you don't get a nasty 'trick'?"
He chuckled. "Not at all. That's what I have my guards for. I let all the drivers take the night off. Go and have fun!"
You looked back to Percy.
"Ok then, Percy. Count me in!"
-------------------------------------------------------
Evening was on the horizon as you got changed into something more comfortable outside your uniform. You weren't sure if you'd be spending the night over at Toby's, so you packed lightly. You then headed over to Tidmouth Sheds where Percy asked you to meet him.
"Percy, are you here?"
Percy jumped out his cab in an attempt to scare you, which worked.
"Ha-ha!", he chuckled.
You looked down to him with a smug look.
"Ok Percy. Don't get mad when I get you back for that!"
You playfully put him in a headlock.
"Y/n stop!", he laughed.
You both pulled back still laughing.
"So, are we ready to go?"
"Yep!", you replied.
Percy started his little green Avonside 0-4-OST engine. You hopped in with your bag.
"Ready?", Percy asked turning to you.
"Ready."
"Then full steam ahead!"
Percy blew his whistle and pulled out, going onto the turntable and puffing down the tracks.
The evening sky turned purple and pink as the sun neared more towards the horizon. The smoke from the engine contrasted the lighting nicely. You hadn't been in the cab of a tank engine since you were a kid. It felt weirdly nostalgic to you.
"Looks like we should be there right at nighttime", Percy said turning to you, his amber brown eyes contrasting the sunset.
You nodded. "That's good then. Since we can get the party started once we arrive!"
Percy laughed. "Yep!"
Your gaze returned to the countryside. A thought then flew into your head.
"Thomas didn't want to come?", you asked.
Percy shook his head.
"Nope. He said he was busy with something else. He didn't say what it was though."
You nodded your head. It seemed weird that Thomas wouldn't want to hang out with his best friend Percy. You wondered why the rest of the trip.
You arrived at Toby's station. It was a small building with two short stories. You saw his brown GER Class C53 engine parked beside it. Percy pulled up next to it and parked the engine.
"He should be inside waiting for us", Percy said stepping out the cab. You followed him to the door as he knocked.
"Toby?", he said. "We're here."
You had seen Toby a few times before but never really met him met him. You knew he was a few years younger than Edward but still looked a little like him. Presently, Percy pushed the door open. Inside were decorations and pots of candy. Jack O' Lanterns lined the room giving it ambience lighting. It looked really nice. You and Percy looked in awe. Then, Toby came out from a closet, dressed up as Dracula.
"Welcome my, guests. HAHAHA! Please, come in...", his voice raspy.
You and Percy chuckled.
"That's an amazing costume, Toby!", he peeped. "I should've brought my own."
"Percy's right", you replied.
Toby broke out of character and smiled. "Thanks." He stepped closer.
"Toby, I would like you to meet my friend, Y/n", Percy said.
"Oh, so your Y/n? Glad I could finally meet you face to face!"
You smiled. "Nice to finally met you too, Dracula! I mean.... Toby!"
Toby chuckled.
You and Percy made yourselves at home, putting your bag away. After eating some candy, you all headed outside to make a campfire, where you all made s'mores while telling ghost stories.
"And on a clear night like this, you can hear the cry of an engine's whistle flowing through the wind, screeching like a lost soul", Percy said.
You and Toby looked to him.
"That's pretty scary", Toby said.
"Yeah", you replied. "I wonder if maybe it'd come around here."
Percy chuckled. "There's no way! It's just a ghost story."
"Oh really? Then......WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE!?"
Percy launched up. "WHERE!?"
You and Toby were cracking up. Percy looked back to you, mad.
"I told you I'd get you back, Percy!", you chuckled.
Percy angrily ate his s'more.
Later, you all ended up crashing at Toby's station for the night. You and Percy made yourselves cozy in the control room. There were some blankets in the closet that other drivers would use when they'd have to camp out if their engine ran out of coal and/ or water. Toby came up and checked on you both.
"Are you both good?"
You and Percy nodded.
"Yep!"
"I'm good."
Toby dimmed down a lantern.
"Good night. Sleep tight. And don't let the ghost train come get you tonight!"
Percy huffed and turned over in his blanket. You and Toby chuckled. Toby then left to go downstairs. You went ahead and laid down yourself, your eyes going down.
"Good night, Percy", you said with your eyes closed. Just before you drifted off you heard him say, "Good night, Y/n."