Chapter 3.1: The Inned of Days

"What the?" Sabin said, clearing his bed and drawing his sword in one motion. I locked my door. He formed into his stance and attempted to blink away sleep. "Show yourself!"

"Relax." Leena leaned against his doorway. Over the course of the night, she'd gained a rucksack, a new pair of brown tights and a clean white shirt. The dagger sat more prominently on her hip. "It's just me."

Sabin sheathed Wade and shook his head at Leena, his eyes focusing. "This couldn't wait?"

"No." Leena eyed his underpants.

He followed her eyes and jumped, realizing that he was practically naked in front of her.

Leena laughed. "Nothing I haven't seen before."

"How'd you get in here?" Sabin asked, pulling on his pants. Her smile widened and he felt stupid immediately.

She's a thief.

She nodded over to where he had been sleeping. "Check your mattress."

Sabin tied his pants and walked over to the bed. The pouch he'd given her last night was sitting on the foot of his bed.

Sabin turned to Leena. "Why give it back?"

"I'll meet you halfway, kid. Give that to me when you feel I've earned it."

Sabin smiled.

"Don't get too soft there. You never know when I'll take your stuff and bail."

Sabin grimaced in response.

"That's better," Leena said. "Keep your wits about you. So where to?"

"First, supplies and you said Jabez first, right?"

She nodded.

"Then that where we go."

After picking up food and the horse from someone who had to be Harper's son, Sabin and Leena made to leave Rosera. As they walked, Sabin noticed Darren's messenger boy, chatting with one of the gate guards.

"Sabin," the little boy called as they approached. "A message from the Master. May Schewa's blessing be upon you."

"Thank you," Sabin said. He wasn't sure if the boy heard as he was already sprinting to the manor. Sabin read the note:

Sabin,

You can always come to me. I am never too busy to help.

Darren

Shino wastes no time it seems. Sabin placed the note in his bag and made his way through the gate.

"It should take a cycle-day to reach Jabez from here by foot," Leena said, looking at Sabin.

"But it should take only a third of the time by horse, right?" Sabin asked her.

"You're the only one with a horse."

"We should ride double. That would shorten the trip."

Sabin pulled himself into the saddle and placed Wade in the weapon hold. He held his hand to Leena, but she wouldn't take it.

"What's the matter?" Sabin asked.

"Horses don't particularly like me. And your friend there is notoriously difficult. You heard Harper."

"It'll be fine, trust me," Sabin said, extending his hand for emphasis. "Come on."

Leena pulled at her hair uncertainly. She reached her hand out slowly, cringing at each motion. Finally they touched hands, only to have the horse pull away and send her flying backwards.