Chapter 8.1: Sight Beyond Sight

Common Acadians hold several misconceptions that about the Feral. The biggest being the ability to see on two planes.

They believe it is either innate or magic. Both viewpoints ignore that it is a skill honed through years of practice.

And we cannot use this sight to see the past or future.

Alaina sighed and thumped her pencil across her notebook. Then she continued to write.

Second, it is not limited to humans: plants and wildfire also give off an aura. We understand that when a plant vibrates with a soft gray glow, it's malnourished. We feel a sharp smell in our nostrils and cab see tendrils of red when an animal is irritated.

Even confining it to senses was inadequate to describe it.

Alaina looked up as Kianna flicked her hair. Shielding one's aura was one of the first skills they learned. Alaina might be a Serien, but Sister Kianna had many more years of practice. She would not be able to pierce it if she wanted.

Kianna is exceptional in her own right. Probably why they let her brave the Grace of Rianna.

That still confused Alaina a bit, Kianna was no longer a Sister, but not quite an Elder.

Sabin gave off a yellowish white that was indicative of his sense of honor and justice. It was how Alaina knew she could trust him with anything or anyone. Sabin sat on his bed, ignoring Kianna's feminine wiles. He also attempted to give off an air of confidence, while his aura betrayed him.

The smoky trails of red and yellow radiating from his person did not mix into an orange. No, the red sat on top of the yellow, dulling a bit of his light.

Another note, Alaina wrote. ​Often what a person feels and what they think are disparate things. Thus it makes it impossible to predict someone's action based on their aura.

"Six wasted days," Sabin mumbled.

Alaina understood his frustration. The first day after their arrival, they had went to the castle to ask for an audience. The castle attendant had been cheerful. He jotted down their names and temporary place of lodging. Then he told them he'd get back to them in no later than three days.

It had been six.

Alaina closed her notebook and stuffed it into her satchel. She stood from the floor and knocked the dust from her backside. When Sabin's eyes found her, she gave him the broadest smile she could manage. She could see a bit of the red recede.

"What are you going to show us today?" Alaina asked him. "Can we take another tour of the docks?" The last field trip she'd suggested had distracted him a bit. Besides, this ginormous city was full of new sights and sounds. She had already filled one notebook with drawings and notes so far. This one was filling fast.

I should really be more judicious with my scripting.

"No," Sabin said. "We've waited long enough. I mean to find out how long we plan to wait. Let's return to the castle."

Sister Kianna shrugged. "Are you sure that's wise? They may not take kindly to being rushed."

"We cannot just sit here." Sabin stood, red flaring brighter than before. "Leena and Turrent are dealing with Schewa knows what while we walk around and sightsee."

Alaina stifled a giggle. The sudden burst of red made Sabin tall, curly black hair appear on fire.

Kianna touched her eyelids and then touched Sabin's bag. The image of his tan pack distorted until all Alaina could see were the dark, wooden slats of the floor.