Chapter 7: Women

"Kid, I can't go with you to Covica."

Sabin continued to watch the fire. He wasn't surprised at Leena's words. Leena had not spoken to him much the entire trip, hovering near Kianna and Alaina instead. At first, Sabin thought she simply wanted to spend more time with the female members of their growing party.

However, Turrent confided to Sabin that he noticed something off with her as well. He had volunteered to escort her to Seris several times, but Sabin asked the man to wait until she was ready. Turrent had grown very protective of Leena since that exchange with Valice. Though to hear him tell it, he was simply looking out for the Seriens in general.

Sabin watched as Leena's hands shook. The only time he'd seen Leena like this was when she mentioned her brother.

She is ready.

Sabin looked up from the fire. "I understand, but next time a bit more notice would be nice."

"You're not mad?"

Sabin shook his head. "I am sorry that I cannot go with you. I promised that I would help you, but I must find the last Serien as soon as possible."

"It's alright," Leena said. "It's better if I do this alone."

"You aren't going alone, Turrent has volunteered to go with you."

"Turrent?"

"Yes."

"Volunteered?

"Yes."

"To go with me?"

Sabin sighed.

"Alright," Leena said finally. "I can't say I expected that."

Sabin smiled and took Leena's hand, placing a heavy pouch on her palm. "Give your brother my regards."

Leena wrapped him in a hug. "Thank you, Sabin."

"You said not to give it to you until you had earned it. You've earned it and then some. I would have never gotten this far without you."

Sabin heard her sniffle.

"Are you crying?" Sabin asked.

Leena pushed him and wiped her face. "No, just a bit of ash in my eyes. You're damn right you wouldn't have gotten this far without me."

Sabin scratched his chin. "It will take us more time to get to Covica though, because three to a horse is too many. I'll have to go by foot and guide the Kianna and Alaina of them."

"She can borrow Lake."

She?

When Sabin turned, Kianna stood quietly behind him, batting her eyelashes.

Sabin pinched his nose. "You have to stop listening in on personal conversations."

"It's alright, Sabin," Leena said. "She knows."

Kianna sat next to Sabin, the leaves crunching underneath her weight. During the return to Acadia, the heat of Youth Cycle had started to give way to the cooling of Parent Cycle and leaves began to change color, their edges turning red.

"I thought you couldn't ride?" Sabin asked Kianna.

Kianna winked. "I lied. Did you enjoy the trip?"

Why am I surprised? "What is it with women and lying about your ability to ride a horse?"

Leena shook her head at him. "I don't know about this one, but I just wanted to be close in case I decided to take your letters and run."