Chapter 24: Son of Durai

Turrent feigned sleep. There was no love between him and Fatima, just physical, passionate sex. Her drew women like a moth to a flame and the Merchant Governor was no exception. She didn't lack for effort and was as thorough as he hoped.

He controlled his breathing and kept his eyelids closed. He mastered this skill at the Blackhall; how to rest without giving yourself to sleep. He listened to her routine. She'd roll out of bed and stretch, wash and then return to bed. He wasn't truly worried about what she could do. If she made a move, he could draw the knife under his pillow and end her.

Tapping at the window interrupted the night's routine. Turrent grabbed the hilt of his throwing knife and shifted to his right. She tiptoed in the direction of the window. It squeaked open, then she stepped away and scratched.

Writing? So this is a letter exchange?

There could be several good reasons for her discretion, but only one mattered.

Will she try to kill me?

She climbed into bed, her presence pulling him to the center. The heat of her body radiated, but he stayed his hand.

The others will be incredibly pissed if I kill her without cause.

She pushed him to his back straddled him. He opened his eyes and she leaned in for a kiss.

Her eyes blinked with false innocence. "Did I wake you?"

A candle flickered and revealed flashes of her beautiful face.

Any sane man wouldn't think of harming this woman.

He smiled. "Yes. I hope it wasn't to talk."

Fatima's fingers traced the scars on his chest. "I just got confirmation from my people in Acadia. You can tell your friends their money will be ready in the morning."

"I thought you didn't wake me up to talk."

"I didn't. This will be the last night we spend together. Make it special."

"I think I can do that."

*********

"Turrent, your hair is gold?" Sabin asked. They sat at the table for first-meal and the pup stopped eating as he walked in. His mouth was half-open and his nose turned upwards.

I guess the kurosheen pill has worn off.

Turrent took the empty seat next to him. "Is that a question?"

"Stop being such as smartass, Turrent," Leena said. She spooned through the oats and honey provided by Fatima's staff. A waiter brought him a plate of his own and he nodded his thanks.

Sakima waved the servant away as he fawned over him. "You'd think getting serviced would have you in a better mood. Did she sweat the black out of your hair?"

Score one for the Hidenka.

Turrent rolled his eyes. "My hair is naturally blonde as it is for most sons of Durai. It isn't a big deal."

"But for the last year we've traveled with you it's been black?" Sabin raised his tone like a question. "I thought you were an Acadian."

He jabbed his spoon at the pup. "Never said I was. You assumed, which means my disguise met its mark. A lot of what you hear about Tsuchinans is skulking in the shadows, but blending in during the day is much more effective. I was stationed in Acadia, so I blended in."

"It is so obvious now that I look at your facial features. That scar on your cheek is very distracting. So are your eyes going to turn gold?" Sakima asked.

"Maybe."

"I should smack that smirk off of your- Merchant Governor." Leena smiled. "Thank you again for having us."

Fatima took a seat at the head of the table opposite of Sakima. Servants rushed to bring her plates of meat and oats similar to their own. "It is no trouble. I assume Turrent has given you the news."

"What news?" Sabin asked.

Her eyes narrowed. "Your loan has been approved. Turrent, I recall giving the news to a dark-haired man in my room last night. A lot of things seem to have changed in the dawn's light."

Turrent sighed. "It is a parlor trick, no more. I can make my hair black once again."

"It suits you. A shame I'll miss my chance to turn your hair another color."

That got laughter from everyone.

Even Alaina?

They finished first-meal and gathered their things. He saw no more of the Merchant Governor, instead it was Sekou who arrived with their shortlings. Sabin declared his department and the head servant opened the door for them.

The door was barely shut when a young Acadian man barreled towards them. Despite the frost on the ground from Cold Cycle, the temperature rose. Sabin dropped his cloak and flickers of flame ran along his bare arms.

He knows this man and does not like him one bit.

"Sabin!" the man screamed. His clothes were tattered and his arm hung at an unnatural angle.

Sabin sneered. "Takuya. What in Schewa's name are you doing here?"

Takuya grabbed his ruined arm and dropped to his knees in front of Sabin. Alaina stepped forward and Sabin stuck out his arm to stop her.

I've never seen him this ruthless.

Tears fell from Takuya's eyes. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"They asked me...things about you. I wanted to kill you, I really did, but once I knew what they were after-"

Sabin turned away. "Save your lies, Takuya."

"Aren't you going to help him?" Alaina asked.

"That man is evil!" Sabin snapped.

Kianna slapped Sabin across the face. "Don't talk to my sister that way!"

"You don't know him," Sabin continued. "None of you do. We should go."

Takuya breathing rattled. "I wouldn't trust me either if I were you. But I beg you to do something. They'll kill her if you don't."

Sabin lifted Takuya by the throat. "Her? What did you tell them?"

He kicked and clawed at Sabin's arm.

Kianna placed her hand on Sabin's face. "Stop drawing on your Path and talk."

The heat subsided and he tossed Takuya to the ground. He gasped for air.

The pup was going to kill him.

Alaina rushed to heal Takuya and her arms shone to the elbows

"Who is he talking about?" Kianna asked.

"Kaita," Sabin said. "Kaita is in danger."