Chapter 9.2: Maelstrom

Leena fought her initial shock and swallowed, saliva meeting her suddenly dry throat.

"Are you done?" Shannon idly fingered his falcon claw chain.

"Yes, master," Terrick replied.

Shannon took a deep breath. "Good. Eastland and Disa keep an eye on her. Terrick with me."

Terrick put his hand on Shannon's shoulder. "I agree, let's get to business. Shall we?"

Shannon turned his back to her and the mercenaries dispersed. All that remained was the brown-haired woman and the stocky blonde.

Eastland walked up to Leena, looking at her with an expression that Leena couldn't quite put to words. With his blonde hair and rippling muscles he would have been attractive in any other circumstance. But tied up and at his mercy, she shuddered at what might happen.

"I'm a friend to your brother." He pulled a curved knife and tapped Leena's forehead. Then he let the tip graze Leena's skin, coming down to her chest. Just enough to tickle, but not enough to draw blood. "I won't take any liberties with you as a favor to him. Behave and we'll be just fine. Otherwise, I will slice each of those beautiful looking muscles and watch as you crawl helplessly to nowhere."

Leena held his gaze, locking onto his golden eyes.

Disa smiled. "Looks like she doesn't fear you."

"If she were smart, she would." Eastland sheathed his knife. "Hey Disa, why don't we..."

"No."

Veins protruded from his neck, then he smoothed his blonde hair. "Your loss."

There's a crack I can exploit.

Leena smirked. "Men like you don't get the girl, you get the leftovers."

Eastland raised his hand to Leena, biceps tense. "Close that pretty mouth of yours before I close it for you."

"Don't harm the merchandise," Disa chided.

"I'm sorry Disa, she's Terrick's sister after all." Eastland bared his teeth. "And always, you have to make a good impression on Terrick. Even if he cares nothing for her."

"Now is not the time, Eastland. We need..."

"It's never the time," Eastland spat.

"This is a business, Eastland," Disa said. "Terrick will rip out your tongue and feed it to you if you lower our profit. Just as a matter of principle."

Eastland threw his hand down in frustration. "I don't need this from you! And Terrick can suck my cock. You be a good little mouse and tell him I said that." He stormed off towards the exit.

"Where are you going?"

"Out! Be a good little bitch and take care of this yourself."

One down, one to go.

This was as good a time as any. She began slicing at the ropes, masking her movements as best as she could.

"When did you become interested in Terrick?" Leena asked her, hoping her voice would help muffle the sounds. "It seems as though you've chosen him over Eastland."

Disa shook her head and smiled. "Asking me a question like that, at a time like this. You're definitely Terrick's sister."

"That's not an answer."

Disa lifted her crossbow to Leena's chest. "I don't have to answer you."

Leena froze. I read this wrong.