Ch. 1 - "Annie."

HAVE YOU EVER HATED SOMEONE to the point just their name makes you mad?

Well, that's how I feel about Joshua Alexander Carter.

And it all started because he kept stealing my crayons in kindergarten.

Yes, I know that is a stupid reason to hate somebody, but over the years, he started annoying me everyday in school.

And when I get home, he would still annoy because my parents and his parents are best friends.

But Joshua's older half brother, Asher, was the definition of perfect. He was a year older than us, but that didn't matter. He was so kind and he would stop Joshua from annoying me.

I grew a crush on him, and when I was in eighth grade, we shared our feelings for each other. We have been going on strong for three and a half years.

Through our whole relationship, Joshua would tease me and make me want to punch him. None of the stuff he said was mean, but he was just annoying.

The only time he didn't annoy me was when he went and stayed with his mother every other weekend.

But that ended when she passed away two years ago from lung cancer.

Joshua completely changed after his mother's death. He stopped talking to everybody, and he skipped classes. He would fight and cuss out everybody who looked at him the wrong way.

You could say he was the bad boy of Midville.

Now, it's the first day of my junior year, and I couldn't be happier. I wasn't ready for the learning part, but I was ready for soccer season to start.

"Leah, are you excited for today?" My mother asked me as I entered the kitchen for breakfast.

My mother's long blonde hair was curled today, and she was dressed in a dark green blouse and white pants. My mother helps out with the children at the daycare.

I looked at her light blueish grayish eyes. My half sister, Campbell, has the exact same eyes. I, on the other hand, got poop brown eyes.

Thank you Dad.

At least, I got my mother's honey colored hair. The only difference was that my was short and her wasn't.

"I am. I'm ready for soccer season, though," I replied as she handed me a plate with a grilled cheese on it.

My mother smiled, and I asked,"Where's Dad?"

She handed me a glass filled with orange juice before answering my question. "He's at the hospital. One of his patients had to have an emergency surgery."

My father, David Perry, was one of the biggest surgeons in the country. He has never lost one patient. He has some pretty close calls, but he always fixed it before things got worse.