Ch. 19 - Enemies

DARCE MONTGOMERY AS SEBASTIAN BROOKS!

THIS WAS NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING.

We were in the middle of nowhere, and there were so many people here. I see cars lined up for at least two miles. Everybody we passed driving had red solo cups.

Was this a party?

Joshua passed by all the cars until we got to an empty spot, and he parked his car before turning off the engine.

We sat there for a minute in silence before he broke it.

"Whatever happens tonight, I need you to stay with me. If not me, then with Xavier. Do not go anywhere by yourself," Joshua warned me, making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Okay? Why? What's going on?" I asked, clearly confused.

"It'll just be easier to show you," he replied before opening his door.

He shut it behind him, and I opened mine. As soon as I went to get out, he was by my side. Joshua shut the door behind me, and I looked around to see that people were glancing at me.

Well rephrase that, they were staring at the guy beside me.

Joshua ignored their stares, and he wrapped an arm around my waist. We started walking, and I noticed a few guys checking me out.

I felt uncomfortable, and Joshua sent them a death glare. We kept walking for what felt like forever until we stopped at an opening field.

And that's when everything clicked.

People were cheering as they threw their drinks around. What were they cheering for, you might ask?

They were cheering for two cars that were racing each other. Like street racing.

Holy hell.

"Holy shit. Isn't this illegal?" I asked Joshua, looking up to meet his face.

Joshua nodded,"Very."

"Please tell me you don't do this," I said, making Joshua look down at me with a guilty look on his face.

Shock overtook my body as I processed this news. Joshua street races; Joshua illegal street races.

"I have a reason. I don't just do it because I feel like it, I promise," he quickly stated, almost nervous about my reaction.

"Joshua, you don't have to explain yourself. I'm not judging you for anything. I promise," I replied before adding,"I'm just...processing all of this."

Joshua nodded, but he didn't look like he believed me. I stood up on my tiptoes, and I cupped his cheek so he has to look me in my eyes.

"Josh, I promised you at my house that I wasn't going to look at you differently because of this, and I don't break my promises," I told him, gently brushing my thumb over his cheekbone.