16: Monsters

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Gretel laughed as she left a dark expression on her face. The tension in her face said it all. She had a clenched jaw,  an intense eye contact with me, and her furrowed brows scared me a bit. It appeared as if she was ready to attack me at any second. What Gretel told me was hard to swallow, and it left a bad aftertaste in my mouth.

But I didn't have any choice.  I had to hear it, since I was still tied down in this stupid creaky, old chair.

***************

"Honey, you should really take a look at your facial expression and know you are only kidding yourself.  You know you want him, and he wants you," she announced with pleasure.

No! No!  This is so wrong!  I have to stop smirking at the mention of his name.  My cheek bones were causing my tender dimples to reappear.  Gretel was not going to let this go anytime soon, was she?  She's so infuriating!!!

Owen was the reason why my sister was dead.  Unfortunately, I also felt he was probably responsible for Robin's death since he was the designated driver that miraculously was saved! 

Doesn't Owen have any shame for what he did?  

He broke my heart and I can't forgive him!

It's been five years since that depressing catastrophe, but could I face him now?  Could I trust him again?  How can I love someone who is so ... so aggravating? 

 It's as if two halves of a heart can't make up their mind.

Gretel was trying to entice me here to admit my feelings for him, but why?  It's not any of her business.

But, she answered my question right away.

"It's because I am so jealous of you!  You and your siblings always got what you wanted, but my brother and I didn't have anybody to take care of us when we were young.  I might have been very popular in high school, but I worked for it.  Everyone knew your name.  Marlene this, Marlene that.  Ugh!!!  You ... you military brat!!!  Now that your parents and sister are gone, both my brother & I have planned this attack on you and your boy toy in exchange for ransom!"

It's as if she read my confused face.  I didn't have to mention a word to her and my questions were quickly answered.

But the mention of high school drew me back into my inner thoughts.  People only talked about me then since both of my older siblings were alums of that school.  I wasn't really anybody important.  Didn't play sports.  I wasn't even in the cheerleading squad like Gretel.  Didn't  even want to join a club.  I just had Paige and Robinaire as friends.  Oh, and of course pesky and clever, Owen, who wouldn't leave me alone.  And yes, I assume I was a tease back then, even though my zany heart did not want to reveal my true feelings.

I closed my eyes tightly, since these issues were hard for me to accept.

Breathe in, Breath out.  Breathe in, Breath out.

I opened my eyes once again and decided to interrogate her.

 "How does Chino fit into this?" I asked.

She laughed loudly like a provoking witch.

"We lured the bartender to be part of our plan.  We promised him fifty percent of the money we will be receiving.  Plus he is quite alluring and attractive, isn't he?"  She smiled and continued on with her lecture.

I have to disagree with that last statement, because there was only one good-looking dimwit for me that really caught my eye, and he was sitting right behind me.  His hands were still caressing mine and I admit I was enjoying it.