3: Bad Habits Exposed

Thursday, January 1st, 2015

Sitting still as if I were a deer caught in headlights, I froze. I assumed Gunther wanted everyone to pay attention to his lecture, but why he pointed fingers at me would be anyone's guess.

I assume if I were in the gentleman's shoes, I'd probably expect the same treatment from my pupils.

So, was I rude? I'd admit I was.

My bad manners have been known to be a sign of weakness and insecurity. And, I hope he forgives me.

I couldn't help it if my eyes were focused on the floor or anywhere else in the room rather than on him. My center of attention was more on my car, as I hope Ophelia won't be towed away.

Impatience was my middle name!

I just have to get through this meeting since my brother might drill me about it when I get home. Joshua was like that as he was trained to become a sergeant in the Marines and somehow took that type of personality with him when he came home. Thus, I expect that to happen.

"So, who wants to start?"

That manly voice startled me as I flinched in my seat and accidentally bumped into Cathy .

She looked at me as if I wanted to be that prospective volunteer.

Yeah, right!

But as before, I didn't have time to protest as Cathy already raised her hand to propose that her new friend would do it.

I looked left and right to figure out who she was talking about. I had a hunch it was me, but prayed for a miracle that it was somebody else.

***************

Gunther smiled as he saw his sibling raise her hand. He knew she would be right on time, as if he planned this whole setup from the get go.

Gunther pointed to her to speak up.

"Hi Cathy, everybody this is my sister. She offered to help Bernice and I to start this AA meeting off right. Would you like to introduce to us who your new friend is?"

Mumbling curse words to myself, I eventually murmured the words "Fine" under my breath,  hoping no one would hear me. I interrupted Catherine's little speech about me and spoke up.

"Yes, I am Marlene Brennan and I'm a habitual drinker. Thank you Cathy for the small intro. but if you don't mind, I'll take it from here."

She nodded, and was glad that she allowed me to continue.

"My brother asked me to come here, so here I am! Glad to meet all of you."

Not! And I waved my hands frantically to let them know how friendly I was.

"What's your brother's name?" Gunther asked.

Like I need to tell you his name. This Mr. Dawson dude is quite inquisitive. What is this? Does everybody need to know everyone's family business? And the Dawson surname awfully sounds familiar.

However, before I could say something else, Gunther beat me to it.

"Is it Joshua Brennan?"

I nodded.

How did he know? I swear I'd find that out, and as soon as I get home my brother is gonna get a 'mouthful of complaints' from me!

Gunther continued talking while I sat still trying to hide my anger.