25: What's going on?

Ladies and Gentleman, we have reached our descent into San Francisco International Airport. Local time is 7:58 am Pacific Standard Time. Sunny skies are before us and the current temperature is 72 degrees. We are just in time for our on-time arrival today. The plane will now be taxing towards the runway for a few more minutes, so please remain in your seat with your seatbelt fastened, until the captain has parked us at the gate. Then we will soon turn off the seatbelt sign.

Flight attendants, prepare for landing. We would like to remind all passengers to secure their loose items, check their seat belts, and make sure all seats are returned to their proper positions. Place tray tables in the upright position. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Use caution when retrieving your personal belongings from the overhead bins, as contents do shift during flight. On behalf of your American Airlines crew, we thank you for flying with us today. We hope you have a great day in the San Francisco Bay Area, or wherever your final destination maybe.

Once the plane came to a sudden stop on the runway, I let the tension that stuck in my mind throughout the flight disappear.

***************

For the first part of the flight I held onto Robin, reassuring him I would always be there no matter what the circumstances may be. His hands were gentle, and quite warm; yet I knew they were sturdy enough to hold a baseball bat. Perhaps before every game, he puts some special cream on his hands to make them look rugged.

I was uneasy once my ears popped during the change of elevation, so Robin comforted me. My other seatmate probably saw what was going on, but didn't do anything about it. Instead, he kept talking to the attractive flight attendant who answered his questions.

Gee Whiz! How typical! And I'm the one who's having the panic attack here, not Owen!

But Robin soon fell asleep as we flew over Arizona, and heard bits of his faint snoring sounds; causing me to have difficulties, such as fidgeting repetitively.

And to make matters worse, constant movements of turbulence occurred as the airplane changed altitudes.

It was freaking me out!

So once Robin slept, the only other person I could turn to was Owen.

Unlike Robin's, his hands were firm and sweaty, and felt something I just couldn't describe like there was more of a mystifying connection between us. Suddenly, I felt someone's fingers circling around the palms of my hand that made me snicker.

Perhaps, it was just me; but there was something definitely 'happening here' and it wasn't just sweat.

***************

I looked at the guys who sat next to me and laughed.

Both Robin and Owen's sturdy hands have turned frail, due to my continuous grasp.

Serves them right anyway!

"Mae, loosen your grip! Get a hold of yourself now! We're now on the ground. You do know I meant solid ground."

Owen chuckled and winked at me.

"I see that you are enjoying this!"

I blushed in return, and saw how delighted he was to see my rosy cheeks.

A now wide - awake Robinaire spoke up, since I knew he didn't want to be left out in this conversation. "You know Mae, maybe you should try out for the girls' softball team. That clutch of yours could make you a great batter or catcher!"