21: Why did you leave?

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The trio were after us, once Bryan knocked down the door of the control room. Hearing the background noises behind us gave me goosebumps. I gulped as the culprits stood by the doorway.

"GET 'EM!" Bryan shouted as he pointed towards us.

"HOW COULD YOU, YOU LITTLE WITCH!"

Gretel's voice echoed after her brother reacted, while Owen and I stepped forward to the ledge. I tried mouthing out words that I had to get away from the intruders, but my voice sounded faint. I assumed that I couldn't speak up due to the intense pressure I felt.

A haunting laugh followed to make me tremble inside as my fear worsened.

"THEY WON'T MAKE IT!"

I was afraid Bryan would say that, but my conscience prevented me from listening to those words. Like an angel inside me, it wanted to give my strength back. It kept telling me that the trio couldn't win this game of cat and mouse!

Yet a little voice inside told me to surrender. The devil inside wants to break free, but I didn't let it out. I knew if I listened to it, Owen and I would remain captive in a never-ending story of a dog eat dog pursuit.

What scared me the most was the remark that Chino made. Apparently, he made it out alive despite the damage we caused him.

"YOU GUYS WILL BE SORRY ONCE YOU MAKE THAT DAREDEVIL JUMP!"

I hated that word 'Daredevil' ... always made me think of the many stunt doubles actors had, who lost their lives due to their treacherous feats. There was no other choice, but to jump from the balcony. If there was, I ran out of ideas.

Take me away to a better place for all I care dear Lord! Holding on to the guy I despised was my only choice to keep me afloat.

I closed my eyes and took my partner's hand, mumbling the same three words I once stated before my sister drowned.

We will survive ... We will survive! That was my only hope.

My hands grew sweaty and could hear my heartbeat pound loudly.

But as I looked below the balcony's railings, I stepped backwards as I was reminded of my acrophobia.

I think I'm going to faint.

The ground from below appeared to be so far away as if my sight had grown worse through this ordeal. Thus, I knew there was no way I could land on the ground without getting hurt.

If we attempt that high jump it would be similar to a course that I took in boot camp, where I fell flat on the ground like a lifeless pancake.

But in that scenario, we were equipped with safety harnesses that kept us secure. So at that time I hung in the air like a frightened hang-glider that has never flown before, with all my classmates pointing fingers at me.

But this was no laughing matter now. My conscience told me to either do this now or I'll be 'complete toast'!

We have nothing but the ground and a few trees to save us from falling to our worst case scenario!

***************

Thus, I felt my eyes slightly drooping as if I were hypnotized ... until I felt a slap!

PSHH!

"WAKE UP! MAE, OPEN YOUR EYES NOW!"

Owen tightly grabbed my fragile hand pretending to be my knight in shining armor.