Chapter 6: The 4 Steps aka Lottie/Lucas Team Up

Veronica had slept on the Daybeds. She sat up yawning and stretching. She could hear the birds chirping. It was a nice sunny day. She had slept outside because now that she knew for sure how she really felt about Bobby she had to get away from him. But love? After only a handful of days? She couldn't tell anyone. Not even Lottie. It might be different if he felt the same way but with his past he was probably terrified of that word. Maybe Lucas misunderstood whatever Bobby had said during his interviews? Either way, things were getting too heavy.

"Are we in a fight?" Bobby walked over with a plate of French Toast, "because this kind of feels like a fight."

"Why would we be in a fight?"

Bobby shrugged his shoulders, "You tell me. You didn't come to bed last night. It felt weird without you." He offered her the plate of breakfast.

"Sorry," she said taking the plate from him, "I haven't been feeling like myself lately. " She took a bite of the sugary toast.

"Well, I'm sorry if I upset you last night. You just seemed irritated, especially towards me." He watched her eating with an amused look on his face. "At least you still have your appetite."

She gave him a smile with full cheeks, "Always" she mumbled "This is really good, thanks."

"You're welcome, I'm glad you like it." He got up and walked back to the kitchen.

Lottie and Lucas exchanged a glance.

"You ready for this?"

"Yeah, but can I just say, the fact that you're basically wasting your time here to help them is actually really amazing. I mean, you 𝒂𝒓𝒆 doing this for them and only them, right?" Lottie gave him a side eye glance.

"Veronica is stunning but it's clear who she should end up with. I'd never jeopardize that. She deserves a happily ever after."

Lottie nodded, "I only got the "Spark Notes" version of her story but I know it's extremely painful. Who treats someone like that?"

"A monster." Lucas got angry every time he thought about what she had been through. "Bobby's story isn't any better."

Lottie pulled her eyes away from Veronica, "Wait? He has a story too?"

"Yeah and it's fucked up. We're doing the right thing here." He looked at the time, "Let's get this started." Lucas put his hands in his pockets and strolled over to Veronica. Lottie made her way over to Bobby.

-------------------

"Hey Bobby! Smells amazing in here."

Bobby looked up from the stove. "Yeah, thanks. I'm just making some French Toast. Want some?"

"Oh yes please, isn't that Veronica's favorite?"

"Is it?" He tried to play it cool. "Yeah actually I think you're right. She's having a bad day so I thought I'd try to cheer her up."

Lottie was impressed. He was good at hiding his feelings. Too good. This might be harder than they thought.

"You're such a good friend Bobby. Veronica is lucky to have you in her corner. You know, when you guys first coupled up, I really thought she liked you more than just a friend."

Bobby looked up, "Oh really? Why did you think that?"

Lottie shrugged, "Oh I don't know, she lights up every time someone brings you up. But maybe it's nothing." She glanced at him, he seemed like he was having trouble keeping a smile off his face, "Anyway, looks like she's found prince charming huh?" She pointed to Veronica and Lucas on the Daybeds.