Chapter 21: Changes

Veronica heard her name and thought she might pass out. She turned to Shannon and hugged her. She didn't understand what was going on. She should be the one leaving.

"Help me pack?"

Veronica nodded, "Of course."

She followed the red-headed poker player up to the bedroom. Bobby had tried to follow but she shook her head, telling him to stay. She was too emotional right now. She felt like a damn fool.

"So." Shannon pulled out her suitcase and laid it in the bed. "Sounds like they're having fun."

They could hear the argument that had started as soon as they left the firepit.

"Shannon... I swear I had no idea that Noah was going to pick me. You have to believe me."

She laughed. "Sit down Veronica. You've had a crazy night." She folded a shirt and laid it down on the bed. "I know you had no idea. That's what made it so real."

"What?"

"I had a feeling this would happen so Noah and I decided that if it came down to me or you, he'd pick you." She went back to packing.

"Why? Why jeopardize what you have for someone like me?"

"Someone like you?" She raised an eyebrow. "Veronica. You can win this."

"Right. They'll just try to get me dumped again. I don't stand a chance now."

"Of course you do. Noah just gave you a second chance. Don't ruin it." She looked  Veronica up and down. "I'm actually amazed you and Bobby don't just leave."

"One. I don't quit things. Two. Even if we wanted to, the new contract stops that."

Shannon was confused. "What new contract?"

"The one we signed the other day. Saying we can't leave and if we do..." she trailed off and shook her head. "No one else signed a new contract, did they?"

"No. Why would they do that?" Shannon was racking her brain trying to figure out this mess. Obviously, if Veronica went home, Bobby would be right behind her..."You should talk to Mark."

"Hell no! I have nothing to say to him."

"He was obviously told to not pick you. He knows something." She picked up her suitcase. "I have to go." She hugged Veronica and whispered, "Bury them."

---------------

"What the hell was that!?" Josh was trying to understand why Veronica wasn't leaving right now.

His plan was supposed to work. Mark picked Blake. Hope picked Bobby and bye-bye, Veronica. With the contract, she'd be gone and the Baker would be forced to stay, heartbroken. Hope would convince him that he had been played the whole time. The public loved that shit. Ate it for dinner. The show would bring Veronica back and the love birds would go on to win, leaving Hope as the bitch of the season, whatever happened after that didn't matter, but now that plan was ruined because of one fucking librarian.

"Rachel. I need to talk to Mark."

--------------

After saying goodbye to Shannon and taking a long shower, Bobby was getting comfy in one of the Daybeds where he would be sleeping until he got Veronica back.

"Hey, sleeping out here?" Lucas fell back into the bed beside him.

"Yep. I'm not sharing a bed with Hope." He rolled his eyes.

"I completely understand."

"I almost lost her Lucas and now she won't talk to me."

"I don't think she's avoiding you. I think she just needs to process everything. It's not the first time she's shut down when something upsets her."