Chapter 22 ~ Parental Guidance

Wes POV

"Honey...we're waiting," my mom says as she looks at me curiously. She and Brent got back from Washington a couple days ago and my dad was finally free today. As much as I was becoming okay with this whole dad thing, telling my parents was an entirely different thing. I was starting to realize how you have to sacrifice for your kids and they've sacrified so much for me...I just don't want them to be disappointed. I take a deep breath and look both of my parents in the eye. "Okay so you guys know that Riley and I have been hanging out again right?" I say, trying to ease into it. This is news to my dad who looks surprised but my mom purses her lips and narrows her eyes. "Yeah...just be careful with that honey...I really don't want to see you get hurt again," my mom says quietly. "Yeah be careful son...especially now that your career is starting to take off," my dad adds. Well great. My mom doesn't want us back together and my dad thinks she's a gold digger. I should've just wrote a note saying 'Hi Grandma & Grandpa'. I close my eyes and just decide to put it all on the table, "Yeah well she's um...she's gonna...she's pregnant," I whisper, staring at the ground.

I hear my mom gasp and my dad just stares at me in shock. "She's WHAT?" my mom says loudly. I can hear the tears coming. "Pregnant," I whisper again. "How did this even happen?" she asks, starting to get angry. "Oh C'mon Laraine you know how teenagers are," my dad mumbles. She shoots him a death glare and he shuts up immediately. "Wes don't you think this is just a little too convenient? I mean as soon as you guys are starting to get some press and fame she just happens to turn up pregnant?" my mom asks. I can't believe what I'm hearing. I stay silent because if I even start to address that, I won't be able to stop yelling. "Your mother has a point son. How do you even know she's pregnant? Even if she is, how do you know it's yours?" my dad adds. I'm literally disgusted with my parents right now. They know Riley. How could they even think these things?!

I stand up and start to walk upstairs. I can't even be in the same room as my parents right now. "Wesley! Where do you think you are going?" my mom says. I feel the words coming as I slowly turn back to face them, full of pure rage. "I'm going to go pick up Riley from work," I say, refusing to look at either of them. "We are NOT done talking about this son!" my dad yells. "YES. We are!" I yell back at my stunned parents. "For your information, the only reason Riley left in the first place was because she didn't want me to sacrifice music for her and this kid! She made me promise not to quit because she doesn't want to get in the way of our music!" My parents stare at me completely stunned but I'm not even close to finished. "I know she's pregnant because I saw the ultrasound! I saw MY kid's heart beating! And yes, I'm positive it's my kid. I can't believe you would even question that!" I yell even louder. I see Keaton appear in the hallway. "Honey maybe we should talk about this somewhere else," my mom says, glancing at Keaton. I laugh, "Keaton knows! Keaton knew before I did! And I'm glad! At least someone in this family has been supportive!" My mom looks down in shame, "We're just trying to look out for you Wes...we're your parents." I inhale sharply, "Yeah? Well now I'm gonna be a parent! And you're gonna be grandparents! So if this is how you're gonna treat Riley, don't bother trying to protect me because you won't be around me or your grandchild!" I glare at both of them as I grab my keys and slam the door on my way to the car.

Riley POV

"Hey," I say to Wes as I climb into his car after work. Today was actually a good day. No nausea and no bitchy customers. Plus this nice old man gave me a tip because his latte tasted extra good. I don't actually know if he was trying to be perverted but hey, money is money. "Hi," Wes answers coldly. Jesus...what's wrong with him? "You okay?" I ask quietly. "Yeah I'm fine. Why?" he snaps back at me. I stare at the console, "Sorry I asked..." He sighs and touches my arm, "I'm sorry. I had a shitty afternoon," he says as he rubs my shoulder. "What happened?" I ask, concerned. "I uh..told my parents," he mumbles. Oh right he was gonna do that today! I totally forgot. Well it clearly didn't go very well. "I take it they weren't exactly happy about it," I say as put my hands on my belly. Wes looks at me sheepishly, "Look it doesn't matter what they think okay? We have each other!" As great as that sounds in theory, Wes was missing some crucial points here. He lives with his mom, his parents still support him financially, and his dad is pretty much their agent. He is screwed without his parents...and so is this kid.