Chapter 7 ~ The Past

FAIR WARNING: This part gets a little dark and might be kinda intense for some people...sorry if it upsets anyone...it's just part of the story.

~~~~~~~~

Wes POV

Keaton and my dad cannot stop buzzing about the recording session in the front seat. It was pretty epic. The studio dudes really liked our sound and even let us record a third song when another group cancelled last minute. After all this time, our band might actually be going somewhere! It sounds hard to believe, but I don't even care about the money or the fame or any of that...I just want the world to hear our music. With all of the excitement in the car, I barely notice how quiet Riley is. I would probably be talked out too if I had to spend 2 hours with Taylor. I don't know how Drew does it...well yeah I do they just never talk because they're otherwise occupied.

"You okay babe?" I whisper in Riley's ear. She jumps at the sound of my voice. "Yeah...sorry just zoned out for a second..." she says with a fake smile. I frown at her but don't push the issue. Jesus why won't she just talk to me?! I'm trying extra hard not to pressure her into anything so I don't push her away but it's so hard to not just shake her and ask her what the hell is wrong. She can trust me. I mean...I'm still here and I don't plan on going anywhere. She leans her head on my shoulder and continues to stare out the window...something is just off.

My step-dad grills out for dinner to celebrate the recording session. Everyone is laughing and having a great time except Riley who is still unusually quiet. She barely touches her burger and excuses herself to go to the bathroom. I want to follow her inside but I know it'll just bug her and Drew will make fun of me in front of everyone. She's gone for kind of a long time but seems to be fine when she comes back. "Hey do you think we could stay at my place tonight?" she asks out of the blue. What the hell? She hates her place almost as much as I do. Is this like her exit strategy? "Yeah if you want to..." I finally respond with question written all over my face.

We leave my house after another hour to head to Riley's apartment. The car ride is dead silent. I can't take this anymore. "Alright what the HELL is going on?" I say, sounding a lot angrier than I planned to in my head. She turns to look at me, "Nothing I promise...I just didn't feel the greatest today." She's lying but there is nothing else I can say. I park in my usual spot and we walk into her bulding. Ugh. I will never get used to that smell. She tries to open the door but drops her keys...her hands are shaking. Once we're inside, I decide to try one more time. "Riley I don't know what's wrong but will you please just talk to-" She cuts off me off with a kiss and forces her tongue into my mouth. Woah. This is not where I thought this was going.

She drops her bag on the ground and pulls me toward her bed. She grips my waist tightly and falls back onto her bed, pulling me on top of her. Everything about this feels different and I can't figure out why. I get caught up in the moment and kiss back feverishly. Suddenly, I feel her hands move to the bottom of my shirt and start to pull it off. "Woah. Woah. Woah. Riley what are you doing?" I say as I break away from her lips immediately. "What does it look like I'm doing sexy?" she replies as she tries to pull me back on top of her. "But..I mean...what changed?" "Nothing changed I just want to be with you," she mutters while kissing my neck. My hormones take over and I pull my shirt over my head. She takes off her shirt and we're skin to skin on her bed. The feeling is absolutely amazing...she's so perfect. My heart is beating a mile a minute and every inch of my body feels like it's going to explode. She starts to fumble with my belt buckle and I feel moisture on my cheek. I pull away immediately and realize that she is trembling and there are tears in her eyes. "What's...Riley stop...we don't have to do this." "No it's fine I have condoms..." she chokes out as she tries to take off her bra. I grab her wrists and force her to look at me, "Hey. C'mon talk to me. Please."