Chapter 3 ~ The First Night

Riley POV

Oh. My. God. We are driving to his house. I don't know anything about this kid. Well clearly I would be that chick who dies first in every horror movie...I'd just hop in the killer's car with a smile on my face. Clearly the worry on my face is starting to show because he asks if I'm okay. "Yeah just tired...my neighbor's car alarm doesn't let me get much sleep," I reply quickly. "Dude that sucks! We don't have many neighbors out here." He wasn't lying. We pulled into a long driveway and up to a gorgeous house surrounded by nothing but trees and open space. "So where do you live anyway?" he asks. "Thousands of dollars south of here," I respond without thinking. Great. Now he knows i'm poor. He seems to be a bit embarassed at the mention of wealth and we head into the house without another word.

We walk into his massive living room and immediately I spot his Frisbee partners in crime. The taller one (Drew I think?) grins at me and gives Wes a nod of approval. Well great. I'm alone in a house with 3 boys that I met yesterday...maybe I do have a death wish. The little one walks over, "Hi. I'm Keaton." "Ah. The one who pelted me in the face with the Frisbee," I say as I shake his hand. Shock spreads across his face as the other two laugh hysterically. "That was Drew!" Keaton practically yells to the room. "He's just embarassed by his horrible aim, be glad you don't share a bathroom with him," says Drew as he shakes my hand. "I hate you both!" says an exasperated Keaton as the other two laugh. "I believe you Keaton. These two seem like the type to throw a Frisbee at your face. You seem too sweet for this crowd." Keaton looks relieved and Wes grins at me from across the room. Well. Clearly I'm getting the hang of this banter thing.

Drew picks up a guitar from one of the couches and tells the other two that he wants to jam a new song. Oh right, they're a band. Emblem something. Wes walks over to me, "Do you mind if we play some music? I promise we're not terrible..." "No I'd love hear something...your music can't be worse than your pickup lines," I reply sarcastically. Wes smiles and puts a stray strand of my hair behind my ear. The feeling is electric as his fingertips graze my cheek. He pulls his hand away quickly like he broke some unwritten rule and mutters an apology. I touch his arm as he turns around to let him know that it's okay and relief spreads across his face.

Their new song is called 'Curious' and to my surprise, they're really good. Not only is Wes gorgeous, he has one of the coolest voices I've ever heard. I have to work to fight back tears by the time they're finished playing. The song was incredible. It described my life perfectly. How is it possible to meet someone who seems to understand your pain? The lyrics were right, the song did help take the pain away...at least for a moment. The pain is apparently visible on my face because Drew says, "that bad huh? Guess it's back to the drawing board!" "No! It was really good! The lyrics were just so incred- ...it was really good!" I stammer out. "Can I use your bathroom?" I manage to say. "First door on the right," replies a worried Wes.

"C'mon Riley pull it together," I tell my reflection in the mirror. I splash some water on my face and try to hide any evidence of the tears that were just streaming down my face. I can't stay in here too long or they're gonna wonder what the hell I'm doing...I already know they're fans of bathroom humor. I wash my hands and quickly leave the bathroom, running right into Wes. "Hey...you okay?" he asks as he searches my face. "You gotta stop asking me that dude. I just had to pee." I was unable to hide the annoyance in my voice. Whatever. I was annoyed. I didn't need a knight in shining armor. I can't pretend I didn't want one though...

I walk ahead of Wes into the kitchen where Drew is eating yogurt and Keaton is heating something up in their microwave. "I made an extra Hot Pocket if you want it Riley..." says Keaton as he turns bright red. Aw. I like this one. He's so polite and delightfully awkward. "Such a gentleman Keaton! I'd love a Hot Pocket" I say with a smile. Keaton beams at Wes and hands me my dinner. Wow. A hot meal that isn't diner food. It has been a while.

After dinner, we all head to the living room to watch TV. Drew finally settles on 'Scream 2'. How appropriate. I hate horror movies. Drew sprawls out on one of the couches, Keaton lays out on the floor, and Wes settles in next to me on another couch. My head is buried in Wes's shoulder for almost the entire movie and he clearly doesn't mind. Keaton and Drew are snoring softly by the time the movie ends. Wes gently pulls me into his chest and I settle my head just below his chin. Why am I okay with this boy touching me? I didn't even let my grandma touch me. Even though my mind protests, my body gives in and I fall asleep in his warm embrace.

"C'mon Riley I know you're hiding in here somewhere! You know this is always easier when you behave. You don't want me to fuck up that other cheek do you?" I keep quiet underneath the bed...begging God to not let him find me. I don't know why I bother anymore...he always finds me. I hear footsteps approaching the bed and I can't stop the tears falling down my cheeks. I feel cold hands grip my ankles and start to pull me out from under the bed. "No! NOO! Get off of me!"

Wes POV

She looks so peaceful when she sleeps. It's like she finally can stop worrying about whatever it is that put that pain on her face. I can't lie. It feels damn good to touch her finally. She has an amazing body that fits into mine like a glove. I can't remember the last time it felt this good to just cuddle with someone...probably never. I snuggle in closer to her and let myself drift off to sleep...what a day.

"No! NOO! Get off of me!" I wake up to Riley writhing violently in her sleep. Her entire body is cold and clammy and she is trying desperately to push me off of her. "Riley it's me! It's Wes! You're okay! I'm here! No one is gonna hurt you!" I say as I try to shake her out of it. She jolts awake and looks around, clearly not remembering where she is. She finally looks at me and collapses into my chest in tears. "Hey baby it's okay...it was just a dream," I whisper as I stroke her hair.

After about 10 minutes, I gently pull up her chin and look into her puffy eyes. "Don't ask..." she whispers sadly. "You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to...but I promise I'll listen if you wanna talk," I reply softly. She nods and looks down to avoid my gaze. "Let's go to my room...it's kinda cold down here," I say, trying to change the subject. She hesitates but I gently pull her toward my room before she can say no.

I tuck her into one side of my queen bed and instinctively start to peel off my shirt. I watch her eyes widen and stop immediately. I gotta remember boundaries with this girl. I climb in next to her, careful to leave space between us so I don't freak her out. To my surprise, she turns to look at me and blurts out, "I'm not gonna sleep with you." Shock spreads across my face. What do I say to that? "No..I..didn't...I wasn't trying to...We don't have to do anything...I'm not that kind of guy..." Oh who was I kidding...I was exactly that kind of guy...just not with her. She looks relieved and gives me a half smile. She starts to turn away but then stops and looks like she wants to ask me something. "Wes?" "...yeah?" "Do you think you could just...hold me again?" I smile and pull her into her my chest without a word. "Thanks Wes," she says so softly I can barely hear it. "No problem babe...anytime," and I meant it.

~~~~~~

Alright last new chapter for a couple days. Gonna wait until I get some reads and some votes. Please follow me on Twitter (@brkfldgoalie06) and be in my Emblem3 fan video!!