Chapter 18 ~ Life Goes On

Wes POV

So those 'couple days' Keaton talked about turned into weeks and then weeks turned into a couple months. It was officially 2013 and I haven't seen Riley since the day she moved out. I used to call every day but I stopped a few weeks ago. I decided to leave her once last voicemail so she would know that I will always be here for her. I don't know if she listened to it but I needed to say it. I wish I could say it has gotten easier but the truth is, it hasn't. I still feel so empty. Drew keeps trying to get me to be his wingman on the beach or when we're staying in a new city but I just can't do it. I can't even fake it with another girl...I just want Riley back. Mostly, I just wanna know that she's okay. I'm sure the nightmares are back and I have been losing sleep over not being able to protect her. Every morning, I still reach out to hold her only to be reminded that she's not there. That split second in the morning where I forget she's gone is the best part of my day.

On the plus side, we've been crazy busy with music. It does help keep my mind off of it. Drew came across 'Until I Met You' and keeps pressuring me to let us record it for our album. I just can't...way too painful. I would probably break down in the studio. We spent half of November in New York doing east coast shows which was actually amazing. People over there loved us. December was one giant press tour across America and we played a bunch of small shows. It was a blast but I'm stoked to have a couple of months back in California just recording and doing local stuff. Trent is trying to get Sunset Blvd released as a single and get it all over the radio by next month. Our actual album release is targeted for April and then he wants us to start a U.S. tour in September. It's insane but that's the way it goes.

It has been nice to be back home in my own bed, I know my mom misses us...especially Keaton because he's her baby. "So honey I hear there was an incident at the beach today," my mom says, interrupting my zoning out. Damnit Keaton...why would you tell her about this!? "She looked like her mom...like I really thought it was her..." I say sheepishly. I kinda grabbed a random chick on the beach today because I thought it was Riley...she has the same wetsuit. Definitely freaked the girl out...and her boyfriend. These are the times in my life that I am crazy grateful to have Drew around for back up. "Honey you thought it was her that time in the mall, that time in New York, that time when we were driving, that time-" "I get it mom!" I interrupt angrily. "Honey I know you're still hurting...but it has been 2 months...you've gotta let her go," she says gently. I feel tears well in my eyes...I don't want to let her go. "I'm trying mom," I whisper. She grips my shoulder reassuringly, "I know hun." I clear my throat and try to compose myself, "I'm gonna go to bed mom," I mumble as I start to walk upstars. "Alright Wes...I love you!" I smile...at least someone loves me.

Riley POV

Ugh. I'm so sore. I've been working as a barista at this cute little coffee place across town. I'm on my feet all day and it's crazy stressful in the morning but it pays more than the diner did. Extra money is always good. My rent is a bit higher in the new place but the landlord gave me free cable so it kinda offsets. Plus I feel like all I do now is watch TV. I only ever leave the apartment to go to work and go to the doctor. I haven't seen Wes since the day I sprinted out of his house crying. It has been months but I still feel like it happened yesterday. I still cry myself to sleep most nights and my nightmares about my dad torturing me have been warped into me torturing Wes. I still know that I did the right thing but I doesn't make me feel any less miserable. Wes finally stopped calling me a couple weeks ago so I hope that means he is over me. He needs to be over me.

I've been following Emblem3's progress online whenever I get a chance to use one of the computers at the coffee shop. There have been so many articles praising their shows...I actually printed a couple and put them under my pillow. I'm so proud of them. They stuck with this for so long and now they're finally getting the recognition they deserve. I can't wait to hear their album. I know it'll be brutal to hear Wes sing but I'm gonna need to get used to it...I'm sure they'll be all over the radio soon enough. I yawn and decide to head to bed. I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face. I grab Wes's zip up hoodie off of the couch and slip it on. I still sleep in it every night. It doesn't smell much like Wes anymore but at this point...it's just a comfort thing. I shut off the lights and curl up under the covers. Then I grab my phone to complete my nightly routine. *Play one saved message*