Chapter 15 - Supply Lesson

Thursday 28th April (2016)
As exams were getting closer and closer by the day, the teachers started to let us use their classrooms at break and lunch to revise in peace, but as you'd expect, some kids took this for advantage and used for the complete wrong reasons.

Sitting in Mr Travis' classroom at lunch, pen in one hand, sandwich in the other, I was working. Until Ryan (you know dickhead Ryan from last year) came in and sat next to me. Completely out of the blue, he started flirting, really flirting, and I don't know if it was a dare or he was just 'having a laugh' but I reciprocated - I mean there's no harm in having a cheeky flirt now and again. With his hand on mine as we 'revised' together, saying totally embarrassing stuff to one another, Mr Travis burst in the room, took one look at us and turned on his heel as he walked straight back out.

"I am not paid enough to deal with stuff like this!" He exclaimed whilst slamming the door.

He walked down the corridor and bumped into Mr Carter.

"Alright mate, I could hear you shouting from my classroom, what's up?" Mr Carter questioned.

"Just kids using my room as some sort of hook-up room, clearly letting them use our rooms was a bad idea Mick..." He said as his eyes burned through his classroom door.

"Why who's in there?" Mr Carter asked intrigued to find out the gossip.

"Philippa Taylor and Ryan Ellis... all over each other when she said..." He shouted but got cut off mid sentence.

"Philippa, as in my Philippa... Miss Taylor?" His face dropped with disappointment, but it soon turned to anger as his face turned with jealousy.

"Yes Mick, your Philippa... and what are you doing? What... are you gonna go and break up their flirting now mate? Yeah there really gonna love you..." He said looking at Mr Carter confused, clearly not understanding his thought process.

"I'm not doing anything Trav, but this is the worst time for people to start getting into relationships. There exams are in a couple of months and I don't want to see Philippa lose her grades over some immature boy, it's Ryan Ellis for gods sake..." He said, jealous still written all over his face. It was clear that exams weren't the reason he didn't want to see it.

—————————————————
Friday 29th April (2016)
I walk in the Mr Travis' room to see a note on his desk, and it reads to say that he's not in and that we will have a supply teacher that day. However, because we're so close to exams they can't give us any old supply teacher, so I look next to the lesson to plan to see MIC. Mr Michael Carter is our supply teacher for the lesson - oh how excited I am for this!

As the class began to make their way to his room (by class I mean me - 5 minutes early) I bump into Ryan who was also making his way to the lesson. Standing outside Mr Carter's door with Ryan, chatting and having a flirt as usual, I see him through the window scowling at Ryan - what is his problem?

He comes over to the door, ripping it open and glaring down at me (quite arousing if i'm being honest but we won't speak any more of that).

"Get in!" He shouted in a deep voice as he pointed to my old seat - gesturing for me to sit there.

I sat down in my seat as the rest of the class flooded in, he sat Ryan in the back corner, furthest away from me, and then he began the lesson on god knows what - indices I think. Before he got up to demonstrate, he went in his drawer mid speaking and pulled out Wise Tiger - as if he kept it - and placed it in my desk. I just looked at him and smirked, letting him know I think he's pathetic as he gave me the same look back before winking and turning back to the class.

"You like my contribution Taylor?" He came over and asked after the class got started.

"I love the commitment, I just don't know why you kept it. Clearly missing me huh?" I laughed with an undertone of flirtatious.

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm not just gonna bin it am I? It took me ages to make that for you, so yes, my commitment is top notch..." He responded with a hint of sarcasm and anger.

"Always good to know..." I replied looking into his eyes.

As he got the class' attention once again, he went through the questions on the board and asked for contributions.

"Miss Taylor, do you know question 3?" He asked knowing full well he'd just spent the last ten minutes chatting to me and distracting me.

"Yeah Sir, it's 27..." I replied whilst shaking my head in annoyance, but still satisfaction as he tried to throw me off but I still got it right.

"Well done Taylor... Jessica do you know the answer to question 4?" He asked another student but she refused to answer.

"It's okay not to know, that's why i'm here. Miss Taylor do you know this one?" He looked into my eyes and gave me a cheeky grin.

"Yeah Sir, it's 64..." I exhaled with boredom.

"Great. So are we all okay with this?" He asked the class yet only looked at me as if he only cared if I understood it, and as soon as I nodded he quickly moved on.

As he set us off with the next task, he started to make his way round the classroom, obviously starting with me as I sit opposite his desk.

After asking me if I needed help, I said no. I would said yeah, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't think of anything quick enough so the easy option was to just send him on his way so I could think of something. But no. He made himself pretty comfortable at the radiator next to me, leaning on it he just sat and watched. I felt like an invigilator was looking over my exam, but no just Mr Carter becoming a tad too possessive. Then finally, Ryan shouted hun over to help. I heard a sigh of inconvenience before he picked himself and dragged himself over to - for him - the worst corner of the room.

After watching him reluctantly help Ryan for the shortest time he could, he got the classes attention and started the end the lesson.

"Okay Year 11, good lesson today, you can leave now... Taylor stay behind..." He asked at the end of the lesson. Not so much of an ask really, more of a command. I like this new man.

As the rest of the class left the room, he shut the door behind him and made his way over to his desk, sitting down opposite me.

"I'm worried you're gonna let some people distract you Taylor, I don't want that for you. You too smart to let these people get in the way. Mr Travis wouldn't say anything but I care about you and I care about your grades..." He said with an undertone of angry and jealousy yet some compassion.

"I don't know what you're talking about Sir, really? I didn't speak to anyone apart from you that lesson?" I argued my point.

"Oh really? It looked quite cosy with you and Ryan whilst waiting to come in huh?" He questioned - now I know his problem.

"He's just a friend Sir, trust me I know what kind of boy Ryan Ellis is. I've seen him in action several times with others..." I reassured him.

"Okay well if you think you can handle Ryan then i'll leave you to it... not only is he a lowlife but think about exams Taylor, they're only a couple of months away." He looked disappointed at my response but more relaxed from my reassurance.

"Well thanks for your concern but I really don't think there's anything to worry about. I'm heading home anyway, have a nice weekend Sir." I said with a smile, again reassuring him.

"Yeah yeah Taylor, i'll try... you too." He added on at the end before sounding as though he didn't want to go home.
——————————————
What is his problem? Don't get me wrong I love the protectiveness and concern, but there has to be an underlying issue here right? I mean it's not a normal way for a teacher to respond to something so small, James and now Ryan?