Chapter 8 - Leaving

Thursday 18th June (2015)
This was it. Exam season. My mock exams were starting today and maths was my first one. For the past few months, Mr Carter has put in so much effort to get us confident in maths. He's done more extra revision with us, intervention and one-on-one sessions.

However, I'm over here freaking out because I left my revision book in his classroom at last nights extra revision. Therefore, I couldn't freaking revise - the one time I actually go to revise and I physically couldn't. Nightmare. Oh and not only that, whilst I was thinking about maths, Mr Carter obviously came into my head. So there I was panicking about the fact I couldn't revise because I didn't have my book and because I spent 2 hours fantasising about Mr Carter... okay maybe 3. Okay and maybe the main reason wasn't the fact I'd left my book. My Mum attempted to help, but she's not the academic type, especially with maths.

To calm down and get a few extra minutes of revision before the exam (and the obvious reason), I go to Mr Carter's classroom. I knocked on and walked in, he clearly knew why I was there from the look on my face.

"Over there Taylor, you absolute donut..." he said laughing to himself as he kept his head buried in his computer.

I walked over, sitting down at the table and started revising, the exam was in less than 20 minutes. I heard the click of his mouse and the sound of his chair before I saw him from the corner of my eye. He pulled the chair out next to me, sat down, and took the book from my hands.

"Sir, can you not? This really isn't the time to be messing about, I couldn't revise last night because of this." I said in a serious tone.

"Miss Taylor, there are many ways to revise. Online, youtube videos, memory... what was the real reason you couldn't revise last night?" He whispered whilst giving me an endearing smile.

"I couldn't concentrate." I told him, obviously mortified of the actual reason.

"Well, we had better get some done now then, i'll help you don't worry." He said supportively.

We sat together for 15 minutes and revised, every now and then we'd get eye contact for a few (very long) seconds, but it would instantly go silent and we would go back to the revision. However apart from that, there wasn't really any flirting which I was happy and sad about to be honest.

Just before I left the classroom he whispered my name,

"Miss Taylor, you will be absolutely fine."

I gave him a smile and left, walking down the corridor I heard the classroom door before someone shouted,

"Good Luck!" He said before he saluted me, I smile back and laughed before making my way to the exam hall.
———————
Wow. I forgot how good it felt to walk out of an exam hall. I won't lie, the exam went okay. Better than I thought. Don't get me wrong there were some questions that I didn't have a clue about, probably more than just 'some', but I answered what I could. After hearing what everybody else put, I realised I was probably going to do badly. So to reassure myself, I made my way to Mr Carter's classroom, and as soon as he saw me at that window he raised his eyebrows and smiled. I knew exactly what he was thinking.

"I don't know Sir. I thought I did okay but then I asked everyone and they got different answers." I said whilst walking inside and slouching down in my chair.

He knew I was upset, so he came to comfort me and sat on the chair next to me - clearly a recurring scenario.

"Miss Taylor... you are the sort of person to think they've done really bad, but have have actually done really well, you're a bright young woman and you shouldn't doubt yourself..." He said as I looked up and into his eyes, as he did the same.

"How is it you always know what to say, huh?" I ask jokingly.

"It depends on who the person is Taylor..."

—————————————————
Friday 10th July (2015)
Exam season is finally over, my last one was on Wednesday. Normally, I just go into the next year with the same teachers and finish my last year of school with them - but this year I think it's for the best that I don't go into the next year with Mr Carter. I spoke to the girls and they told me what I needed to hear - 'don't let a silly little crush get in the way of your grades.' They were right, Mr Carter is just a teacher who wants the best for me, and I just have a teeny (bigger than teeny) crush. So this year, i've decided to get him a present as a leaving gift, i'll ask the headteacher to move into the set below - Mr Travis' as soon as I can.

I come into school and make a headway for his classroom. I felt sick with butterflies, wondering how he would react. I had the present in a gift bag with a card attached. Slowly reaching my hand to door handle, he'd already spotted me through the window.

"Ahh Taylor, you didn't have to do that..." He exclaimed with a smile.

"No I did, you've been brill this year. I just wanted to say thank you." I said getting more and more shy.

"Well it's very generous, and i'm more than excited to start Year 11." He replied.

"I actually wanted to speak to you about that, I was thinking about moving to another class?" I implicitly asked.

"Why?" He replied already annoyed.

"I just think that i'm beginning to feel too comfortable in this class, to the point that i'll think it's okay to do a lesson and not do any work... I know my motivation will be lacking and I need a working environment where I'm always on top form." I said apologetically.

"Well I can do that for you? I'll change the seating plan and be stricter so it's more professional... hell i'll even be like Miss Truncheon if you really want." He pleaded whilst laughing at his joke.

"Don't get me wrong, i'd love to stay in the class and have a laugh, but that's not going to get me grades... and I know that we could start off professional but i'd eventually slip back into it when I get bored, I know what i'm like." I replied.

"You haven't even tried yet, why don't you just do a few weeks and if you still feel the same then you can transfer." He said getting slightly more annoyed than I'd even thought of it.

"Honestly Sir, i've really thought about it, and I know it's for the best. Laughing at chatting won't get you grades." I argue my point.

"Okay. Well if you've made your mind up then there's nothing I can do, but let me tell you, grades really aren't everything. You'll remember memories more than your grades Miss Taylor I can promise you that." He looked me straight in the eye.

"But I want to get grades. I'm sorry for leaving the class. I don't want to but I know I need to." I replied quietly.

"Okay Taylor. Well have a good summer holiday, good luck next year. Oh and thanks for the present, I'll open it later." He said tongue in cheek and looked at the floor, raising his eyebrows.

"I mean, it doesn't mean we can't talk. What if I wanted you to explain something to me that I didn't understand?" I said with hope as he raised his head.

"That's what your new teacher will be for, you won't need to come to me, I won't be your teacher anymore." Once again put bluntly

"Don't be like that Sir, i'm not moving schools, i'm still coming to your extra revision." I replied.

"If you won't even give Year 11 a chance then you're not who I thought. Anyway, I understand. I'll see you round, goodbye Philippa." He argued.

Without another word I walked out. I was so shocked at his response, he didn't even try to understand why I wanted to transfer classes. It wasn't my intention to offend him, to be honest I thought he'd find it more of a compliment because i'm saying that I have a laugh in his class and don't necessarily work.

However, considering this is the story of Mr Michael Carter, I should tell you that this is nowhere near over. It's just the beginning.