Chapter 7 - Birthday

Thursday 23rd April (2015)
Finally! It's my 15 birthday and lucky me has double maths first thing. Seriously though, it's actually lucky. My Mum brought me breakfast in bed whilst we sat and chatted, slowly coming round from our sleep.

As the girls know of my little crush on Mr Carter, they've made sure everyone knows it's my birthday and that everyone knows I am officially 12 months away from being legal. Badges, presents and a birthday crown were brought in to make me the centre of attention - not my scene honestly, i'd rather not be noticed.

As I walked into his classroom, turns out I'm the first to get there. I knock on, with bags in hand and take me seat at the front. To fill the wait, I opened up a box of chocolates.

"Miss Taylor, what are you doing here so early? Lesson doesn't start for another 10 minutes." he asked with a smile on his face.

"Clearly i'm passionate about algebra... I just wanted some peace before lesson." I said sarcastically with a cheeky smile.

"Ahh, still a bit sad to come to your maths lesson early... anyway, what've you got there?" he laughed while peering at my chocolates.

"Hmm... I got a box of chocolates, you fancy one? You're clearly desperate for one." I replied sarcastically.

"I mean, I wouldn't mind one... what's the special occasion Taylor?" He asked.

"Just my birthday." I put bluntly.

"Ahhhh, 15 right? Here you go lovely I think i've got a present for you..." He said cheekily whilst winning before going into the next classroom.

"Here you are Miss Taylor, it's Mr Travis' funnily enough. He brought cupcakes in for the staff but I don't particularly want mine, so here you are... Happy Birthday Philippa." He sweetly added before handing me the cupcake.

"Awe thanks Sir you're a gooden. You sure you don't want it?" I asked before taking a bite.

"Honestly i'd rather you have it, to be fair I think it's too late now anyway." He laughed.

"I guess you have got a good side huh? You're secretly a softie aren't you?" I flirted.

"Shhh... only a few see it." He laughed again before winking.

Soon after, students started to fill the classroom as he got whisked away.

——————————————————-

As the lesson progressed, he no longer referred to me as 'Miss Taylor' or 'Taylor', he referred to me as 'The Birthday Girl' which i thought was sweet.

A knock at the door caught our attention as I saw Mr Travis through the door window. He opened the door and made his way straight to Mr Carter.

"I thought you said you didn't want one of my cupcakes Sir? Strangely enough ones gone missing?" He said clearly acting angry, trying to hold the laughter back.

"Sorry I didn't tell you Trav, it's actually someone else's birthday, so I gave my cupcake to the Birthday Girl sat over there." He once again winked whilst gesturing to me showing Mr Travis.

"Ahh, Philippa shares her birthday with me... Happy Birthday Miss. Seen as we have matching birthday then you can have a special cupcake." He said putting the plate in front of me.

I picked another cupcake and said thank you, wishing him a happy birthday aswell. However, I looked over to Mr Carter and saw he was irritated just by his face. He looked pissed.

They shook hands before Mr Travis walked out, but I could see that Mr Carter's knuckles were white as a sheep in the gesture. He was so annoyed, but why?

A girl in the class scoffed, making a comment at the fact i'd had both teachers give me cupcakes, Mr Carter quickly shut her down but it had clearly hit a nerve. Whether it's because his mood has suddenly dropped or this girl was being uncalled for I don't know.

—————————————————

Just before the class finished and students started slowly making their way to the door, I was last to leave. I felt an hand grab my arm as I turned round to see Mr Carter's apologetic face.

"Hey Taylor, seeing as Mr Travis stole my idea of the cupcake, how about I let you stay in my room for break and lunch today huh? Get away from that noisy canteen. I can put some music on and i'll even buy you that chippy you wanted... what do you think?" He looked hopeful.

"Wow Sir that's so generous of course I would, a break from the canteen would be bliss... and you really are showing me your soft side today huh?" I replied surprised.

"I have to do something for my favourite student... don't tell anyone I said that. Especially if Mr Travis stole our thunder." He whispered while putting a hand on my arm.

So that's why he was annoyed. His idea was stolen and then Abbie rubbed it in his face. This man gets sweeter by the day I swear.

"Well thank you very much! You have definitely beaten Mr Travis don't you worry about that... and don't tell him I said that." I laughed.

"I'll keep your secret if you keep mine Miss Taylor... have a nice break and I'll see you at lunch." He winked before I walked away, looking back as he shut the door - looking through the window.

Lunch was how you'd expect it, he put the chippy on the table and played music. To look less suspicious he stayed at his computer desk and joined the conversation from there. We laughed and told stories, until the bell for lesson rang and we had to leave. At which point he watched us leave and as I turned round to shut the door, I looked at him through the window to see him wink and mouth, 'Happy Birthday... Miss Taylor'.

————————————————-

As soon as I got home and put the kettle on, me and Mum sat under a blanket and I told her what had happened. Her response was a shock,

"Jeezz Philippa, Mr Carter's your teacher. It's not very professional of him, I didn't think he was like that, Joe never said he ever did anything like that..." She said sternly and slightly concerned.

Well looks like that's one person I can't tell. I know exactly what she's like, she'll think it's just a crush and then switch and make it get blown out of proportion. Definitely best to steer clear of telling the Mother. I guess it's just the girls now, at least they're encouraging of it.