Chapter 4 - Parents Evening

Thursday 20th November (2014)
Wise Tiger was already sat down on my desk waiting for me when I arrived for Mr Carter's lesson. Everyday I was getting more and more excited to go to his lessons, it was actually becoming a bit of a problem - or maybe i'm just passionate about maths.

"Okay Year 10, it was nice to see some of you at the extra revision last night... Now i've been told that the school need students to help out at the Year 8 parents' evening. It will be from 4 to 7pm and all you have to do is help the parents find their way around and maybe make a coffee or two for the teachers. Anybody up for it?" Mr Carter said as he looked at me.

A group of students raised their hands including me, he smiled to see that i'd volunteered.

"Great it's on the 27th November which is a week today." he said enthusiastically.

—————————————————
Thursday 27th November (2014)
My Mum dropped me and the girls off at school (they were also volunteering), she told them to keep an eye on me and make sure I wasn't flirting too much with Mr Carter - I loved how blasé she was about it, she knew exactly how to deal with every situation, and she knew there was nothing to worry about. We trusted each other, she knew nothing was actually going to happen.

As we get there, Billie and I start to make our way around the hall, asking if anyone wants a coffee. I see Mr Carter arrive as he sits himself down and opens his book up. Students start flooding in as I reach him to ask him if I can get him anything.

"I'd love a coffee but im really picky..." he says as he starts telling me what he wants, "Could i have two Nescafé sachets, with one sugar and a little milk please?"

I say yes while writing it down like a waitress (but my hands were really shaking). Obviously I say of course as a walk to the next teacher. After i'd tried to make it perfect I go and take it to him, but as he's with parents i just leave on the table.

Me and Billie then go round to see if anyone wants water, Billie takes a bottle to Mr Travis and as I get to Mr Carter he also takes one. I then ask him how his coffee, nervous as to what his reply will be,

"Perfect Miss Taylor, better than Costa..." he whispers.

"Why thank you Sir, I tried my best" I replied laughing as I walked away.

I grab a few more water bottles and carry on handing them out, but as Nancy and I are making our way down the corridor, I hear feet shuffling behind me, causing me to turn round and I see him. Mr Carter behind me. I play it cool and just turn again and carry on walking. Then I hear him shout,

"Philippa, could you take this lady to H16 for me please?" he asks standing next to a middle age blonde woman.

Of course I comply and take the lady to her next appointment. After, Billie and I decide to collect coffee cups as another excuse for me to see Mr Carter, on our way we get to Mr Travis' table and I say,

"Sorry to interrupt, have you finished with your drink sir?" as he takes his last sip and passes it to me.

However, we touch hands as he's giving me the drink. I look towards Mr Carter to see him  looking at me with a face of rage and disgust.

Towards the end of the night, me and the girls were having a laugh with one of the senior teachers as I saw Mr Carter start to pack away his things. He begins walking towards us and says hi. We get onto the topic of coffee, and I say,

"well mine was apparently 'perfect', which is surprising considering i'm more of a tea girl."

After a few more minutes of chatting, I asked the question,

"You've been busy tonight huh? Surprised you've not gone mad just sat there for three hours! you haven't even had a break, you've literally had a queue"

"I know but I don't stop speaking" he replies laughing as he shows me his timetable.

"Wow! you've had to double book" I state shocked.

"More like triple book" he replies instantly.

I just sigh and say, "Well, props to you for not having a break, did you have a coffee or tea?"

He said yeah but he could've done with more, feeling guilty I replied,

"You should've said or shouted me over, I would've made you one."

He smiles sincerely and whispers,

"Next time your at the revision session just let me know and i'll buy you a chippy Philippa."

Shocked but sweetened, I reply, "Would you really do that, of course i'd have to give you some money,"

"Don't be daft, I don't spend much money anyway so it's fine, I mean have you seen my crappy car, I even walk to school sometimes to save money so it's honestly no problem... and you deserve it anyway by coming to extra revision." he replied casually.

"You do as much as me, your the one teaching it!" I said back.

"Yeah but I get paid... would I get in trouble though? We'll have to see what happens, i'll see you later." he sneakily replied getting closer before slowly moving away.

"Okay Sir, see you later. Have a good weekend."

There is no way i'm telling my Mum about this. She would definitely not be happy with him.