Chapter 1 - First Lesson

Tuesday 9th September (2014)
It was my second day of year 10, and my first lesson with Mr Carter. I knew a few people in the class from year 9 so I wasn't as nervous as usual.
We lined up outside his classroom before he came out to introduce himself. He didn't look like how I remembered him, tall and slim, curly hair, perfect stubble and deep blue eyes. He looked better. Making his way down the line, asking each of us our name, then he gets to me.

"Hello Miss?", he questioned.

"Philippa", I said back, short and sweet.

"Philippaaa?" he dragged out.

"Philippa Taylor, sir". I shyly answered.

"Are you Joe's sister?" he asks with a smile on his face.

I said yes before he told me about Joe, and how much of a nightmare he was to teach but also such a good-hearted kid. Before we knew it, he'd spent 5 minutes chatting about my brother and telling stories, not realising the class were still standing outside.

Inviting the class inside, a seating plan was on the board and we all took our seats. He looked in his draw whilst shouting,

"Miss Taylor, can you hand these assessments out for me?"

I complied and handed the assessments out, seeing that we had a test on the first lesson kind of made me loathe him. But I understood that he 'had to know where we were up to to get an accurate reading of the classes capabilities' blah blah blah. I winged the test as usual, put my pen down on the table and waited for the rest of the class to finish up. I couldn't wait to meet Nancy and Billie for lunch to tell them how crap my first lesson with the famous Mr Carter was. dead.

The bell rang and I packed up my things before putting my coat on and heading out the classroom to lunch.

"So Philippa, how's Joe doing? I've not seen him for a couple of years."

"Not bad, I don't see him much, he's working at the gym now as a personal trainer. I don't think he was much of the academic type..." I replied with a small laugh.

"Yeah I think you're right there, we'll I'm glad he's doing okay, tell him I said hi for me will you?"

"Yeah of course, see you next lesson Mr Carter."

"Bye Miss Taylor, see you next lesson..."

Miss Taylor... again.

————————————————

Well the next day came, along with the same routine. I lined up outside Mr Carter's class for our second lesson before he stood at the door and greeted us all as we walked in. We had our assessments handed back to us, I got a C. Not too bad considering i'd not done work for 6 weeks and winged it. He set us up with work to improve our mistakes whilst he made his way round the classroom.

"C Miss Taylor, not too shabby. Obviously it would be better if you could add and subtract, but it's not like they're the basic principles of maths or anything..." he looked at me whilst laughing.

"Ha ha ha. Funny." I bluntly replied before laughing.

"I'm only having you on, you did well kid, you and Joe are like chalk and cheese let me tell you" he said before walking off again.

Joe again, is that all this man can talk about.

Then I watched him go round the rest of the class and speak to them about the assessment. I wondered something. For every other student, there was no nickname, nothing in common and no laughter between them. Why was it just me he spoke to like that? I mean I know he was nice to Joe but he is literally treating the rest of the class as boring students, but treating me like a friend. He'll probably warm up to them in a couple of weeks, I guess he already knows of me through Joe so he's probably more comfortable with me. Anyway, I'd better meet the girls for lunch, tell them what i'm thinking...

He brings me out of my thoughts as I realised he's done a full circle of the classroom and is back at my table,

"Year 10, if you ever need any extra support in anything you're struggling with my door is always open..." he shouts whilst looking round the room, landing on my eyes every couple of seconds.

I then asked the girl opposite me for the time as Mr Carter spins round facing me, shushing the girl I asked before smiling at me.

——————————————————-

"I guess you're already his favourite then as per? To be honest anything compared to Joe is going to be perfect in his eyes. I think you'd better thank your brother Philippa, Mr Carter's on team Taylor..." Nancy laughed after i told her what had happened.

These girls are too funny, at least i'm in Mr Carter's good books for the time being, this class will be a walk in the park if i'm his favourite and only getting C's!