Chapter 14 - Birthday

Saturday 23rd April (2016)
Finally legal! I'm 16 today which means I am allowed to get with anyone I like - excluding people in a position of trust. The girls gave me a card highlighting everything that's now not illegal - whoop I can buy a scratch card...

I knew exactly what I wanted this year, it was just utterly impossible to get. So instead, the girls and I went for a birthday meal at our local curry house. Although we weren't 18, if we put a tonne of makeup on and got dressed up we could pull it off, and everyone knows the restaurants in town that don't check for ID, which is why we picked this one - cheeky.

With a burgundy knee length dress, a black blazer and some heels we set off, drink in hand, to the restaurant. As we arrived and got seated, I saw something odd - a coat that looked scarily similar to Mr Carter's - a khaki bubble coat. After the waiter walked away with our orders, Mr Carter showed up on the table behind me. Don't look Philippa, he's leaving soon and then you can enjoy your night without a teacher judging your 'out of school' personality - let's face it we all have one.

"Taylor... it is you. What brings you out?" He asks as though i'm some sort of hermit crab.

"My birthday Sir..." I say as the waiter comes back with our drinks - glass of rosé, and two vodka and cokes - smooth Philippa, smooth.

"I see it must be your 18th birthday then? It's just funny, I thought you were in Year..." He carried on with what he thought was funny, before I interrupted.

"Busted." I said knowing full well what i'd done.

"Don't worry... Miss Taylor... Nancy... Billie. You little secret's safe with me, happy birthday Philippa." He whispered whilst looking us all dead in the eye before turning on his heel and laughing as he walked out the restaurant and into a taxi.

I turned round to the girls and their face was just as shocked as mine. He's gone against protocol, the girls agreed adding that he's not following the safeguarding policy - he knows we're breaking the law, yet said nothing. We all looked at each other before bursting into laughter.

"He definitely has a thing for you 'Miss Taylor', jesus he doesn't make it obvious does he?" Billie sarcastically said in between laughs.

After chatting and laughing, about Mr Carter, school and funny memories, we decided to get the bill. Our waiter came over as we signalled for the bill, and said,

"The man from table 21 paid for your meal tonight, there will be no need for payment off you." He said abruptly before walking off.

Come again? What did that man just say? Mr Carter paid for our meal? He left before we finished?

After 30 seconds of being completely gobsmacked, we continued to sit in silence just shaking our heads at each other.

"That mans over you like a rash Pippa, clearly someone's excited you turned 16." Billie stated still shaking her head from shock.

The waiter comes over with mints and passed a note to me - from 'the man at table 21'.

'I noticed it was your birthday, have this on me as a birthday present... You know the deal - whatever is said in the curry house... Happy Birthday Miss T, see you Monday,
Mr Carter x'

A kiss, and a secret present? What is this man doing to me?

—————————————————-
Monday 25th April (2016)
The next Monday, I got into school and made my way straight to his classroom before lessons started. I was still so shocked that he paid for our meal as a birthday present, since when do teachers get students birthday presents anyway?

He shouted come in as I knocked on his door, as he looked at me through the window his face lit up and he gave me a cheeky grin.

"Ah the birthday girl, how is it being 16 Miss Taylor?" He exclaimed whilst patting my arm as I stood in front of him.

"Well you know, I can do more stuff now. But I came here to say thankyou, thankyou so much Sir... for the meal and keeping my little secret," I whispered as I got to the end, giving him a sincere smile before looking down at my feet.

"Don't worry about it, it's not everyday you turn 16... and it was nice seeing you... outside of a school setting for a change, so thankyou to you aswell for showing me you're not just a student..." He said looking directly in my eyes.

"Right back at you... for showing me you're not just a teacher," I replied looking right back at him.

After a silent pause, I took my bag off my shoulder and got my purse out.

"Nope, i'm not accepting it Taylor, it's against school policy anyway to accept money off a student." He said raising his eyebrows as he knew he had a good argument

"Like you've ever followed policies Sir, come on at least let me give you something..." I said, proud of my comeback as I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Nope it was a birthday present, you can't refund it... i'll be offended. How about you repay me by continuing to tutor Year 7s yeah?" He said with his cheeky grin.

"Okay then, fair deal. I guess i'll see on Wednesday then, unless we have another spontaneous meeting... joking I know it's against 'school policy'" I said mocking his attempt at giving an argument.

"I'm sure we will Taylor, now get to Mr Travis' lesson. I will see you on Wednesday... oh and Taylor, happy birthday..." He said as I began to leave with a smirk on his face.

"Thanks Sir." I turned round and smiled one last time before I left his sight.