Chapter 5: Serenading Strangers

______________________

"Then can I hear them?" he asked hopefully.

She was stunned for a moment but then smiled warmly. The kind of smile that lit up the entire room.

"Only if I can hear yours."
______________________

AFTER bickering for a while about who goes first, Yoongi sighed in defeat and reluctantly accepted his fate while Y/N triumphantly smiled.

The air had become cooler by now and the two continued their rendezvous, relief seeping in as the cool waves touched their skin.

"This song is called 'So Far Away', it's a bit old," Yoongi stated, hesitance present in his voice.

Y/N took the notebook from his hands and began to read with utmost concentration. Soon, her eyes glossed over and beads of water trickled down her soft cheeks.

The unexpected tears startled the pale boy, who was really worried and puzzled.

"What happened?" he carefully asked, his tone soft and caring.

She shook her head and wiped her tears, taking a deep breath before answering.

"It's so very sad," she paused, holding Yoongi's gaze, "but it's as though someone read my heart."

Another wave of emotion gushed out from her eyes and the ravenette clenched her fists tightly, head bent and eyes squeezed shut.

"I've been trying to ignore the box I'm trapped in, constantly pretending that I'm not surrounded by darkness but...," she raised her head again, teary eyes fixed on him, "it's as though this person understands how I feel better than myself. Your song is beautiful."

Yoongi felt shocks run over his body, as though he had been electrocuted. For the first time in his life, he felt that someone understood his music, someone understood him. He felt appreciated; truly, deeply appreciated.

Her eyes finally dry, Y/N gave yoongi a soft smile. Nothing big, just the corners of her lips turned up, but her eyes, her eyes spoke volumes.

"Will you perform it for me?" she asked hopefully, her head slightly tilted. The please was implied.

And how could Yoongi say no. He would've agreed to anything she asked for at that moment.

And so he began, voice raspy as he uttered the first word,

"Dream."

Y/N was surprised, for soon he was spitting out verse after verse, not losing his breath.

He was rapping.

She smiled. If they were in the 21st century, no doubt he would be one of the greatest rappers and lyricists out there. His talent was beyond his time.

And as he finally paused,
Y/N took over.

"So far away~"

It was Yoongi's turn to be surprised. He had no idea she could sing like that, or anyone could sing like that for that matter. But what astonished him, even more, was that the melody she was singing fit his song perfectly. And she composed it in the short time he was rapping his part.

"Don't fall away~"

This time, she was gazing into his eyes, as though serenading him. Yoongi held the gaze as he broke into his next part.