Chapter 10: The Ball At Last

________________________

Mr Goose whipped the reins and the beautiful pumpkin carriage rolled away to its destination, the royal palace.

Jisoo watched till it disappeared from her sight before muttering a blessing for her child and disappearing in a storm of shimmers and sparkles.
_________________________

SIGHING softly to herself, Y/N opened her notebook and started scribbling furiously. It was the one that contained her songs and Ella's dress plans-she had decided to bring it along at the last moment.

The magic coach kept speeding away towards the royal palace as Y/N kept on writing. She was focused intently on her work which made Ms Bluebird-who had been observing her-very, very curious.

She had tried to steal a glance but the raven-haired girl had been relentless; she wouldn't let anyone touch it, let alone read it.

The nearer they got to their destination, the more quickly Y/N's heart strummed. She was nervous, and extremely so.

When they reached the royal palace, the girl felt as though her heart would leap out of her chest any second.

"I'm scared," she admitted, stepping out of the pumpkin carriage with Ms Bluebird's help. "What if I'm reading too much into everything? I'm not a princess, this isn't my story-I don't even belong to this world!"

Ms Bluebird engulfed the distressed girl into a warm hug, softly patting her head.

"Don't worry," her melodious voice comforted. "Everything will work out."

Y/N broke the hug to look at her, anxiety seeping into her voice.

"Will it? Really? 'Cause I don't think changing social positions is as easy as a swish of a magic wand!"

"I'm not a human, but a bird. It was, in fact, as easy as a wand's swish for me. And the same goes for you. Enjoy it while it lasts, dearie," Ms Bluebird replied, gently patting the raven head.

"But it's only for tonight...Tomorrow, there will be no magic spell to change me. Tomorrow, I will be just me," the conflicted girl confessed, her face drooping.

"Then, are you looking for someone who is interested in this charade of yours?"

Are you looking for someone who is interested in this charade of yours?

The words echoed in Y/N's head, stirring up her emotions. Was she looking for someone who was into facades? No, she was there for someone who, perhaps, understood her best-and she was counting both of her lives.

Taking in a deep breath, she bid Ms Bluebird, Mr Goose and the mice goodbye before turning around and walking up the palace steps.

The animals-turned-human watched her disappear behind the grand doors, silently praying for the night to go well.

* * * * *

The royal ball was no gauche event. There was nothing that lacked elegance. From the cuisine to the decorations, every single detail had been thoroughly planned and executed.

The plushiest red carpet was laid out at the entrance of the ballroom-a grandiose balcony, beautifully constructed and elaborately designed. It covered the entire staircase leading towards the floor.

Intricate chandeliers decked the ceiling, eliciting awe-struck gasps from anyone who happened to see them while ornate candelabras and flower vases adorned the chamber.

The atmosphere was merry as could be; people socializing at every nook, be it commoner or noble.

Across from the entrance, on an identical balcony overlooking the entire ballroom, stood the royal family, the highlight of the event.