meeting the team (Spencer Reid)

Summary: You and Spencer have a big age gap (13 years), and when you meet the team, they have some things to say.

Word count: 1.5k

Pairing: Spencer Reid x fem! reader

WARNINGS: age gap relationship, arguing (lmk if I missed anything)

A/N: This takes place around season 9, Spencer is 33. Some of the stuff the team says is kinda out of character but I needed conflict.

As you close the clasp on your necklace, you're finally all dressed and ready for dinner with your boyfriend's infamous team. You and Spencer had been dating for 7 months, although both of you had been very hesitant to let each other meet the important people in each other's lives, because of the obvious age difference between the two of you. With him being 33, and you being 20, there was bound to be some judgment from some people. Because everything went relatively smooth with your friends and family, you were feeling pretty confident heading into this dinner.

As you walk out of your shared room, you see Spencer standing near the front door, holding the car keys in his hand. He silently hands them to you while he says, "Can you drive? Please bub?"

"Fine, but you owe me. You know you're not the only one who hates driving." You replied as you kiss him on the cheek and rush out the door.

"Well then, thank you, sweetie. Now hurry! We're going to be late!" He tells you.

You chuckle at him, get in your car, shut the door, then start driving.

+++

You finally arrive at Rossi's "mansion", a whole five minutes late. You were not fazed by this, but it was safe to say that Spencer was. You moseyed out of the car, not in any rush, but then he nearly shouted, "C'mon! We're already late Y/n!"

"Hey, calm down Spence. I'm sure we're not the only ones late." You said to him, but it was safe to say that you were very wrong.

+++

When the two of you walked in the door, you saw all the people that Spence had told you about, Aaron Hotchner, David Rossi, Jennifer Jareau, Derek Morgan, Penelope Garcia, and Alex Blake. All the eyes were on you. And you knew exactly why. Your age gap wasn't exactly a secret, seeing as you looked around your own age, but you had assumed that Spencer had told them about it.

"Welcome Reid! And umm..." David Rossi said as he struggled for a name.

"Uh It 's Y/n." You said awkwardly as you went to go sit down at the table.

"Well I'm David Rossi, It's nice to meet you."

"Yeah, I know... Spencer told me all about you guys."

You could cut the tension with a knife, but nevertheless, JJ propositioned you and Spence, "So, Spence, Y/n, do you two want some wine?"

When Spencer declined, everyone was quick to comfort him, remembering his past with addiction, but then you had to decline: "Umm no thanks. I'm underage".

"Don't you think you're too young for Reid?" Morgan inquires.

"You can't even drink yet. Are you sure you should be dating him?" Hotch asks.

"Shouldn't he be with someone closer to his own age?" JJ questions.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the questions, you burst out, saying, "Hey! I'm 20, not 16, I'm plenty mature, and I'm not some teenager who will always act irrationally."

"Actually babe, the prefrontal cortex, which deals with emotional reactions, isn't fully developed until 25-" Spencer stops when he sees the look on your face.