miscommunication (Luke Alvez)

Summary: Luke has been ignoring you, but after having a big fight, you find out the reason why

Word count: 1.5k

Genre: angst + fluff

WARNINGS: fighting, mention of minor character death

"I just wish things could be like they used to"

You and Luke both sat next to each other as your words reverberated through the air. The air between the two chairs felt strange, anyone could have felt the tension between them. You pondered over the thought you had just expressed.

It was true, you meant what you said, things were better before. You thought about the days where you felt like you were driving down the California coast with your head out the window. That feeling of pure joy and calmness. That's how Luke made you feel, now who could blame you for wanting to feel that again? Well, Luke apparently.

"But they never will Y/n! You have to understand that!" Luke said, exasperated.

"I know. I just miss how we- used to be. I miss those nights where we would stay up watching movies and eating junk food and- teaching Roxy new tricks. I-I- miss the early mornings we would have a-an-and- the failed attempts at breakfast in bed you would make me. I miss how we used to be, Luke." You stuttered through helplessly.

"Stop reminiscing about the past Y/n! We have real problems right now. That old us is gone now!"

Something about him saying that broke you a little inside. You knew that relationships change, you had expected that much, but you found yourself not wanting to find out what your relationship was gonna be, because of what had been happening.

Things had been weird for a bit now. It was almost as if one day you felt the atmosphere shift, and all of a sudden, everything was strange. But there was also almost a universal agreement that you two weren't gonna talk about it. You weren't gonna talk about how the daily texts from Luke had stopped (the ones that took so much convincing for him to start sending). And you sure as hell weren't gonna talk about him about the times where he would ignore you around the house. As much as you (wanted to) needed to talk to him about it, you desperately just wanted things to be ok, part of you was in denial, to put it lightly.

"I'm not really sure what to say to you right now." you tentatively replied to him.

He roughly sighed in annoyance, running his hands through his hair, before beginning to pace around the living room. He paced, while you sat on the couch, staring into nothing, just trying to grasp the reality of the situation.

It was unusual for Luke to be the first one to bring something up, with him not being the best communicator, but this time he did. He might say that he did so because he cared about you, but it was mostly because he knew it was his fault. Inside, he kind of knew why he continued down that road of lack of communication, and he saw how much it hurt you. He saw in your eyes how much he was hurting you, yet he didn't do anything, well until tonight.

He looked over at you, in desperation, trying to figure out what to do. That's when he saw the tears falling down your face.

Now tears weren't an abnormal thing for you, you weren't as afraid to show emotion as Luke, but to him, this was different than any other time he had seen you cry. This was raw, he could feel the anguish radiating off of you, and it pained him, deeply. This was different from when you were crying over the Titanic or another sad movie, this was different because it was amplified, and because he was the cause of it.

He softly wiped the tears off your face with his calloused hand. You leaned against his hand, which was a form of intimacy that neither of them expected, nor did either of them know what it meant.