4 times you pressed play on your song + 1 time he did - Auston Matthews

Summary: Basically, what it says in the title lmao

Song: Tenerife Sea - Ed Sheeran

I.

"God, I missed date nights so much," Auston whispered, letting his arms slide around your waist and nuzzling his face in your hair. You detached your eyes from the sizzling pan in front of you, sending him a quick smile as you let one of your hands trace his tattoos.

"Well, I missed you so much," you whispered, grabbing the wooden spoon and using it to mix the pasta that had just been put inside a pot. "Can you pass me my phone?"

He obliged, his warm embrace leaving you for a small moment before he was back behind you, holding you close to his chest as he overlooked your cooking. After fiddling with your device for a bit, you pressed play, the intro of one of your favorite songs filling the walls of Auston's condo, making you lean your head back into his chest.

You look so wonderful in your dress
I love your hair like that

You turned around in Auston's grasp, finally facing him as you let your hands tangle themselves behind his neck, his own arms never leaving your waist. Your cheek pressed itself against his chest as soon as he started swaying the two of you around the kitchen, feeling the slow thump of his heartbeat.

The way it falls on the side of your neck
Down your shoulders and back

He kissed the top of your head just before resting his chin on the same spot, letting the soft rhythm of the music lull the two of you into a stage of calmness. His hands were soft against your body, moving from your smaller back towards your cheek, rubbing the skin there gently.

We are surrounded by all of these lies
And people that talk too much

"I don't think I'll ever be able to stop missing you," Auston chuckled, letting you pull apart from him just to let your eyes find his. You leaned on the tip of your toes, arms still wrapped around his neck as you leaned in for a kiss

His lips, just as soft as you remembered them to be, were gentle, but not hesitant. He pulled your body even closer to his as he got lost in the kiss, his tongue tracing your bottom lip before he pulled away to breathe in some fresh air. His forehead rested against yours, your bodies continuing their dance to Ed Sheeran's voice.

You got that kind of look in your eyes
As if no one knows anything but us

Should this be the last thing I see
I want you to know it's enough for me
'Cause all that you are is all that I'll ever need

Your heart started beating out of your chest as you finally found the courage to say those three words back to him, your hands resting flat against his chest, making him look down at you.

"I love you," you whispered, getting lost in his dark orbs all over again, a small smile appearing on your lips as soon as he kissed the top of your head, trying to hide his teary eyes from you.

"I love you, too," he said gently, his forehead leaning against yours. Your moment was interrupted by the smell of burnt food that filled the room, right next to the sound of water hitting the burning stove.

"Shit!"

II.

"I'll probably just spend some time at home, eating take out," you chuckled, answering Auston's question about your Christmas holidays plans. "Calling my family, missing you,"

Auston was silent as he listened to you, trying not to focus too much on your fingertips tracing his tattoos. "That has been my Christmas for a while now," you joked, eyes finding the fireplace as you cuddled closer to him to find more warmth. "What are your plans?"