Chapter Ten: Through the Himalayas

The fourth leg of the race was underway, all planes having to scale the Himalayas. The mountain range in Asia separating the plains of the Indian subcontinent from the Tibetan Plateau. The range has many of Earth's highest peaks, including the highest, Mount Everest, at the border between Nepal and China.

"Every racer's nightmare is scaling the Himalayas." Brent said. "It's a short leg ahead, but extremely treacherous."

Annie looked down to see both Dusty and Braedey flying rather low towards the mountains, following a set of railway tracks snaking its way along through the mountains. It was going to take longer, but in Annie's mind and opinion, it was a good idea.

"Good thinking, you two." Annie said to herself.

Braedey kept up with Dusty, the two of them following the iron rails through the mountains

Braedey kept up with Dusty, the two of them following the iron rails through the mountains. The two of them kept close to the ground but kept the power going, the two of them racing on. The cold temperature wasn't going to stop them from getting to their destination. But then, they saw a tunnel up ahead of them. Dusty began to pull up quickly, trying to get over the mountain, but his fear of heights was getting to him, and he was heading away from the tunnel, Braedey turning around alongside him.

"What are we gonna do now?" Braedey asked.

"No..." Dusty muttered, then does a turn to go back to the tunnel!!

"Dusty?!" Braedey turned around quickly, and he shot forward after the airplane. Before he could ask more, Dusty flew right into the tunnel! "What in Chevy-" He now retracted his wings and tail, and he raced down the tunnel on the rails.

Dusty flew through the tunnels on a diagonal angle, Braedey racing along at speed as fast as he can to keep up on the rails, while also deploying his wings and tail, planning to take off at once he gets out. Dusty's wing tips kept grazing the walls and the ground, setting off small sparks. At least it did not catch the track on fire for the tracks were made partly of wood, the rails being metal.

"We're almost there." Braedey called out to Dusty.

But then, both Braedey and Dusty heard the sound of a train whistle outside of the tunnel. The two of them go as fast as they can, Braedey powering up his turbines for takeoff, as Dusty powered up as fast as he could. Outside the tunnel, the steam train could see a plane and racecar ahead of it. The train applied its brakes, sparks coming off its wheels, as both Braedey and Dusty were closing in. Braedey and Dusty closed their eyes tightly, bracing for impact.

After a few seconds, Braedey reopened his eyes, now noticing Dusty and the silent air around them. Braedey looked around the white clouds they were in. It was deathly silent. As they flew through the clouds, Braedey noticed some green hills nearby. Braedey gestured to Dusty the hills, and the two turn towards it, noticing a runway and temple.