Coming home

The house was silent when we prised the front gate open.  Curtains were drawn, lights were off; anyone driving past would think the owners were on holiday.  Surprisingly, Mum had left the front door unlocked in her hurry, so with a slight push the firetruck red laquer swung forward easily.

"Hellooo?" I called down the hallway, listening to the noise echo eerily off the walls.  I fumbled for the lightswitch until the hall was illuminated in yellow light, and kicked off my now mud-stained Supras. "Anyone hooome?!" No answer.

"They're probably still looking," Niall shrugged it off, "They'll come back soon,"

"Uh, yeah, soon..." Harry held a worried expression when he turned from the front window, pointing over his shoulder.  sure enough the faint hum of a car engine was whining to a halt just outside.

"Oh, shit,"

The key was inserted into its funnily shaped hole and turned with a satisfied click.  A wave of nausea churned my stomach.  All we could do now was look frantically between each other, frozen in place.  The familiar aged squeal of the door's hinges moving hit my eardrums.

"BOYS?!!" a feminine voice sqealed, and I turned just in time to see Cathy fling her arms around Harry, as he was the closest, sobbing uncontrollably.  "Oh, I'm so glad you're okay," she sobbed, hugging the boys in turn, just to make sure they were really there.  After hugging Zayn she stepped back, expression suddenly stony and posture rigid.  "Where did you go?  Why didn't you call or leave a note?" she interrogated sternly.

"Well, you see Mum-"

"Actually Mum, it was my fault," Louis cut Liam off, stepping forward solemnly.  I knew that, along with mine, the other boys' faces were shocked. "Surprisingly, we all managed to get out of bed rather early thismorning and I suggested that we go pick up our remaining school books.  Yes, we walked, but only because we didn't want the sound of the garage door waking you.  We got to school eventually, but by that time weekend detentions were over so every entrance was locked.  Seeing as is was still early we stopped at a McDonalds for breakfast."

"But when did you meet up with them, Sam?" Mum interrupted before Louis could even take a breath. "And where's Ben? You two were supposed to be looking in the forest together."

"Well, Ben was being really slow so I kind of just ditched him; you know how he is, Mum, and-"

"And we met up with Sam on our way back.  She was on her was to the start of the trail, and we just happened to be passing by.  We stopped for ice cream and then came home," Louis concluded with a satisfied nod.

"Well I'm just glad that you're all okay and no one was hurt," Cathy sighed, still slightly apprehensive and sour.  I shared a guilty glance with Liam because, thruthfully, nearly everyone had been hurt.

THE NEXT DAY...

We stood grouped on the footpath outside the boys' house, which now had a 'For Sale' sign skewered in the dirt.  Cathy and John were thanking Mum and Dad for being so helpful and kind, and Ben stood at the fence sulking for no particular reason.  That left me with the boys, who were all unusually quiet and still.  We had already exchanged farewells, and were now just waiting the moment when Cathy would call them all to the car.

"Hey, um, Sam," Louis tapped my shoulder, and I spun to face him, eyebrows raised questioningly.

"Yes, Louis?"

"Um, I just wanted to say, I'm going to miss you, a lot..." he seemed lost for words , scuffing his Toms nervously on the concrete. "and I wanted to tell you, that um..."  He looked down now, seraching for something nonexistent on the ground. "I wanted to tell you that I love you, Sam." He looked up and into my eyes, his own were tear filled and glassy.  I didn't know what to say.  Louis had just confessed his love for me...what should I say?

"I...I-I love you too Louis," I let the words come out, and they just felt so right.  So much so, that I felt the need to close that gap between us, Louis moving in too until our lips touched, and then our bond couldn't be broken.  I knew everyone was watching us in shocked silence, but in that one moment I really couldn't care.  I wrapped my arms around him and he held my waist protectively. 

It felt like forever, and when we finally pulled away, more by instinct rather than want, I was breathing heavily, my lips feeling swollen and sore, but in a good way.

"Well, um...I guess I should probably get going." Louis squeezed my hands that were held daintily in his, before pulling away and joining the others getting in the car.  Harry, Louis nad Zayn sat in the middle and Liam nad Niall were squished in the convertible trunk.  When Cathy and John sat down, Louis, Niall, Zayn and Liam were waving solemnly, tears in their eyes;  Louis' face was wet and sticky with constantly falling tears.  But harry seemed too immersed in something on his phone to even look up.  I told myself it was because he couldn't bare to say goodbye again, but a part of me hurt with the thought htat maybe he didn't really give a stuff.

just at that sad, sad moment, as tears began to blur my vision again and the car engine rumbled to life, I felt a buzzing in my back pocket. I pulled out my phone to see one new email:

HS: Bye Sam xxx

~ Harry S.

I looked up at Harry through the tinted window, and his face was sticky with dribbling tears.  Plastered forcefully on his face was a sad, kind smile which I returned easily, starting to wave again as the people-mover increased it's speed down the street and cornered the curb.

And with that, teh happiest and most confusing part of my life disappeared.

GirlyGirl: Goodbye Harry xxx

~ Love, Sam <3