A Final Goodbye

My favorite part of the day is the second I wake up. Life is perfect as I nestle into my warm pillows and blankets. The slightest twitch of my hand, and I'll feel Noah. All I have to do is open my eyes to see him. His brown hair will somehow look stylishly messy as his arms twist amongst the sheets. Unfortunately, my favorite part of the day is followed by reality. Noah is gone.

Going home to our once-shared apartments is a close second for the worst moment. The first Halloween was no different; I dreaded the emptiness within. With a heavy sigh, I pushed open the door. The only sound that greeted me was the jingle of my keys into the bowl as I entered. Holidays seemed to echo the loneliness more than other days, and this had been no exception.

The chime of my phone didn't startle me. I was confident it was a well-intentioned friend or family member checking up on me. Since Noah's passing, my circle rallied around me. We never got our white wedding; we didn't even get a goodbye.

"Boo." Splashed across the screen, but it wasn't the text that startled me. The sender was: Noah.

My mind whirled. It couldn't be. The new owner of the phone number must not have realized how off their joke was. Still, how did they even know my number?

I'm not sure why I engaged, probably loneliness. "Not a funny joke, whoever you are."

"Kinda funny, Allie Cat."

I stared at my screen. Only one person had ever called me Allie Cat. I was frozen in place until my lungs finally screamed through with the need for fresh air. Still, I couldn't push myself to respond.

"Allie, you there? Cat got your tongue?"

It couldn't be, but who else would be armed with terrible cat puns? My fingers stiffly moved as I typed back. "Noah?"

"Allie?"

"You're supposed to be," I hit send without typing out the last word.

"I got a day off for good behavior."

"Is that a thing?" This must be a joke.

"It's a thing. Meet me at our bench?"

Both my mental state and entire body felt like they exploded in a second. My mind wanted to burst into tears, but my body was moving at a frantic pace to the door. Our bench was only a block away. I would be there in just a few moments if I ran, and running was my only speed. I wouldn't have enough time to doubt what was happening.

I stopped short when my eyes fell on him. "How?" I whispered.

"Do you care?" His breath brushed over me.

"No, just never leave." I clung to him, relishing in the warmth of his arms and the rise and fall of his chest.

"I have time for one last night; one last good-bye." His words ripped through me, but I took it. I finally got my goodbye.