The Secret

Fifteen-year-old Ruby was the victim of cruel "ugly duck" jokes until a boy humiliated the jokers. The gentle touch of his hand on her elbow reassured her that she hadn't entered a delusion.

"I like your skirt," came in his low voice that was more vibration than volume. He'd bent his neck to be closer to Ruby's ear, causing them to huddle together as though they were sharing a captivating secret. "Ducks are very appropriate for today's rainy weather."

As Ruby pulled away, she caught a glimpse of his bit-back smile that toyed with the world. He knew the secret that everyone wanted to know.

"Kindness spreads," he'd murmured to himself the prior afternoon as the hues of the setting sun slipped through the library windows and clung to the golden highlights of his caramel hair.

Ruby hadn't thought her helpfulness was exceptionally kind. Archer, the it boy of Phillips High, asking for help with Ziggurats, didn't adjust her assistance. It was her job.

"I don't even know where Mesopotamia was," Archer lamented.

"Mainly Iraq," Ruby offered, lifting her eyes from the ancient history books to meet his gaze.

Her regard struck him like a fist. "You have beautiful eyes," he offered, regaining his composure. "I don't often see eyes. Girls tend to avoid mine."

"Nerves," Ruby shot reactively. She knew the answer; she offered it.

"I don't make you nervous?"

A laugh burst from her. "Of course not. I'm goofy Ruby, the ugly duck. What would I have to be nervous about? Maybe I'll lure you in with my bird sweater?" Another laugh escaped her as she added, "I don't need to be nervous."

Archer's lips pursed as he stifled his annoyance before he left with a mumbled, "thank you."

And now, here they were, moving past the wide-eyes of Ruby's tormentors together, as they leaned in to share the world's secret.