Degeneration (6 years later)

Done...at last. After so long, it's finally done. All of the Beasts and their alien creators are dead. I thoroughly went through every area to make sure there was nothing left. But now, as the satisfaction washes over me, reality hits me...I'm trapped. Sitting on the ground among the rubble, I looked up to The Breach, the same passage that I came in from. It was too high, my systems were too damaged...and even my self repair was offline. I found that out while I was down here. That only worked because Blue Heart was still supplying me with her Share Energy. Just enough to repair me. I was on my own this time...and I couldn't make it. I rested my head back, knowing that I had won, but feeling terrible that I couldn't return...to her. This was it, wasn't it? This was my time. I readied myself for self termination...no point in dragging it out. The one thought going through my mind was Compa. She was the most important person to me. The only person that treated me like another human. I closed my eyes, and filled my vision with her...

-"Ahhh...you're a beaut, aren't ya?" I heard a voice say.

     I opened my eyes and turned my head in curiosity. It was one of the aliens! How did I miss this one?

-"So you made it. Not surprised, you're obviously very determined." It said.

     It stared out into the distance, looking at the destruction.

-"Who are you?" I asked, my voice sounding broken.

-"One of the many beings you just killed. Probably for the better." It said.

-"What?"

-"My kind was always convinced they were inferior to, I don't know, something. They worked day and night trying to make themselves some 'higher beings'. So dumb...they never realized that we could just live here in peace. But no, they wanted more. I never believed all their crap. 'Higher beings'? Hell, with the level of technology we had, we practically already were, but they wanted more."

-"I'm useless now. My mission is complete. Yet I don't fall...what are you doing out here, anyway?" 

-"Searching, same as you." 

     This was most likely going to be the last living being I interact with...I might as well let my emotions out.

-"I...I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore. My objective is done...what am I at this point?" I asked myself.

-"Hm." It said, still looking off.

-"So are you the one with no name?" 

-"Haaaa, these days, they got a name for just about everything. To hell with what they call ya...deeds make the man."

-"Yeah, but if anything, my deeds just made things worse. I drew the Beasts into the new world. My...my friends believed in me once I arrived but...now I'm gonna fail. They need like, some kind of hero."

-"Then be a hero."

-"You don't understand. My systems are too weak, I can't repair myself anymore. Hell I shouldn't even be here anymore."

-"So you came all this way and fought that long to die here, away from her? Don't you see, it's not about you...it's about them, everyone."

     I knew exactly who it was talking about...Compa and all my friends.

-"But...I can't go back. Not anymore." I said.

-"Don't know that you got a choice, son." It said.

     With a flash, it was standing on my visor, crouching down. It slowly wiped away some dust to make a rectangular shape.

-"No man can walk out on his own story." It said.

-"This isn't my story anymore." I said.

     It sighed in frustration.