Where Loyalties Lie

All systems reactivated once the designated time had arrived. I first looked to my shoulder but saw that Compa wasn't there. I was only concerned for a short moment until I saw a piece of paper taped onto my visor. The writing was small so zooming in was a requirement. It read:

-"Gipsy,
Sorry I couldn't stay, I had to get to work in the hospital! I'll see you tonight!
Compa.♥️"

     Ah, duty calls to her as well, I suppose. I took note of the heart she drew next to her name. Does that have any significance? I'll figure it out later. I stood and exited my bay only to notice Striker was outside it.

-"Ugh, geez, finally! Could you take any longer? You're already late to the briefing." Striker said, annoyed.

-"I was not made aware that a meeting was happening." I said.

-"Great, now our messaging system is down. Just hurry up and follow me."

     I followed until we reached the briefing room. All four of the CPUs were here. I have insufficient data to tell whether a gathering like this is a common occurrence or not.

-"There he is, now we can begin." Blanc said in her usual passive voice.

-"Hunters, all four of us have decided to change what your objective is while out hunting the Beasts." Vert announced.

-"From now on, we need you to pacify and capture any of the Beasts so we can study them. We might be able to find out how to prevent them from attacking all together." Noire continued.

-"So keep at it, Cherno!" Neptune said to Cherno with a smile.

-"Understood, Lady Neptune." She replied.

     What...

-"I will try my best Lady Noire." Striker agreed.

     Impossible...

-"I'll definitely make you proud, Lady Vert!" Typhoon said eagerly.

     Never...

-"Gipsy? You understand?" Blanc asked.

-"No." I said.

     All eyes turned to me.

-"I won't follow your orders." I said firmly, ready for the consequences.

-"What did you say you little-." Striker was interrupted.

-"Striker, enough." Noire said, making Striker step aside.

-"You won't? Why is that?" Vert asked.

-"You are not my creator, and thus do not have authority over my prime directive." I explained.

-"Then what exactly is your 'prime directive'? And who gave it to you?" Blanc asked, curious.

-"My creators' exact words were: 'Protect as many innocent lives as you can.'" I said using my synthesizer to emulate her voice. "And it will be the order I carry out to completion. These Beasts threaten our world, thus they must be eliminated. I cannot allow a single one to live, much less enter the nation. They are not idiotic; they adapt. I've witnessed them evolve to try and kill me. They will not stop. I cannot risk that now. I'm sorry, but I won't follow your orders."

     No one said anything for a while...until Neptune spoke.

-"Hey Gipsy, I feel as if there's more to that story. Sure, it's an order...but there's some other reason you do this, isn't there?" She asked.

     I thought for a moment. She's right. I have felt something odd recently. Normally, I would say that killing beasts is only to do my creator proud, but there's been something more to that for a while now. Like...I'm doing this for...myself? No, that's not it. It's like I'm doing this for someone else other than my creator.