Immortal Child - Chapter 6*

~CHAPTER 6 - Miss You~

Mike

               It’s been six days since she went missing, six horrendous days which dragged by as if years.

               I couldn’t handle the hurting too well, not to mention the yearning and remorse. I kept replaying that night over and over in my head, and each thought sent jabs of pain through my heart.

               I missed Roxanne terribly, I longed for her touch every minute of every day. I had lost her moments after I found her, though I knew I would find her again. She had to be out there somewhere; I could feel it in my gut. I just had to find a way to get to her, to rescue her as she had rescued me.

               I had told the officers what I saw, though they looked at me as though I was a mental case. They found the blood and did DNA testing to prove that it belonged to her. It did, of course. They sent me for drug testing to make sure I wasn’t having hallucinations on what I saw. They thought it could have been an animal which I mistaken for a girl. How dense do they think I was? Though I knew the girl was more beast than any of us could grasp. I was afraid, not for myself, but for Roxanne.

               I was strained to see a psychologist to establish my mentality. I was not permitted to return to school before I was confirmed “in good health”. I was a suspect to murder, seeing that I was the only observer and that her body hadn’t been found after days of going missing.

               But I didn’t care; I didn’t care if I died on that spot. I just couldn’t live in a world where she didn’t exist. It was difficult to think about her, and even more difficult not to. Hearing her name was like stabbing a dagger through my heart. I wanted to hold her in my arms, even only for a moment.

               The memorial service would take place the following Saturday, but I wasn’t sure whether I’d attend it. It just hurt so much to hear her name, to talk about her.

               Mrs. Burns had been admitted in infirmary, as she had a nervous breakdown. It felt as though I already had one. I felt terrible for Mrs. Burns. First she lost her husband in a fire – he was a fireman – and then her daughter to the unknown. Maybe Roxanne could be happy, in heaven with her father. I knew she missed him terribly.

               She never spoke much about her father after he passed away, she didn’t even cry at the funeral. She was so tough, a force of destruction as she once assured. I never saw her as a deceitful girl though, she was my lily. She was the girl with the purest heart – just a little misguided.

* * * *

               I hadn’t realized where I was walking to, but after short time, I found myself on the trail which led to our hierarchy. All blood had been cleared from the scene, as it had been raining nonstop since she vanished. Maybe it was a sign from her, who knew?

               As I reached the end of the trail, I skidded over to our tree, the tree where we grew up together, the tree where we shared bliss and pain, and the tree where we shared love – our love.

               The joys of that night had vanished.

               I was never going to feel that way again, at least not until I hold her in my arms again. In my heart I believed she was still alive somewhere, just waiting for me to rescue her. I keep imagining her talking to me, telling me she loves me, but it was all just dreams – sheer fascinations. Oh how I would’ve loved for them to be genuine. But she was dead, and I had to accept that. She was never coming back.

               “God, why did you take her away from me?” I screamed up at the vacant sky.

               I fell to my knees, and for the first time since she vanished, I cried.

               I cried for all the times I didn’t and all the times I still would. I cried and cried until my tears ran dry. I must have been crying for hours, because when I opened my eyes, it was twilight, and freezing. I was curled up in a bundle, with my arms wrapped around my knees.

               I didn’t feel like leaving, I wanted to stay there, by our tree, until I died. Until I meet my sweet angel once again. I wanted to stay there for as long as I shall live. I wanted to be there just in case we were playing hide and seek and I’d find her just behind the greenery.

               Oh how she loved that silly game. I reviled it, but I cherished her. I would have played that game with her for hours without showing any loathe. I would have done everything just to hear her chuckle and see that thrill in her eyes.

               Unluckily, this was realism and it was a crime scene. There were officers on patrol during the night, and I knew should I get caught there; I’d be in huge trouble. So I stood up and with one last glimpse up into the heavens, I whispered “Miss You” and turned back and headed home.