Day 30. (Chapters)

Day 30: Post a Chapter For Everyone To R&R

Here goes nothing (this is very, very unedited if I haven't made that clear). I'm going to post the prologue along with the Chapter just for fun.

-->

0:01.

"Smile!" Two flashes go off, either from opposite directions. 

                "That's ambush," I laugh, whipping my head around. The music is like a heartbeat and the speakers logically should've blown up five volumes ago, but Meg still hears me through the chaos.

                "You look gorgeous, honey. Look at that million dollar smile." Meg turns the camera and shows me, a grin on her face. I go to snatch it out of her hand-oh god I look like a drugged horse-but she's slipping through the crowd faster than I can catch her. An arm wraps around my shoulder and I'm pulled into a sideways hug, my sight of Meg lost completely.

                "I hope you're aware that this is probably the best party since, like, the last supper," James McMahon yells. He practically screams it into my ear.

                I giggle and point towards a girl that I know McMahon's been dying to get with. "Talked to her yet?" I ask. James rolls his eyes and takes a large sip of his drink.

                "I'm waiting for the right time."

                "The right time would be this century, dork," I laugh and then I'm clawing through the crowd again, in search of Meg. People yell things at me, grab at my arms, grin with shiny white teeth. I keep going, laughing and smiling and soaking it all up. Bursting from the outside to the inside, I scan the room for that blonde haired girl. It's nearly pitch black outside, only the occasional fairy light giving a faint glow but inside is a different story. Strobe lights flash in darkness and people are frozen in their actions for the tiniest of milliseconds, like statues. I stumble in, joining the museum of people. A girl in a gorgeous red dress-that I definitely saw at Target-struggles towards me, her path wobbling from side to side.

                "It's time for the cake!" she declares, throwing her arms up in celebration. "Go get the cake, go get the cake, go get the cake!"

                "Okay, okay," I laugh, prying her arms off of me. Everyone is being really touchy-feely tonight. All of a sudden, the lights come on inside and outside and everyone is groaning and rubbing their eyes. A few couples are caught out in the corners. Meg stands by the light switches, grinning like a moron.

                "You better have deleted that shit," I mutter as she follows me into my kitchen. Typically, my parents are in there, hiding away from the teenage apocalypse out back, but I'm surprised to find my boyfriend chatting away with them.  "Holden?"

                "Hey OK, are we doing the cake now?" he asks, his smile wide and his expression slightly cloudy. I don't bother reading into that or why he's in here with my parents whilst the biggest party of the year is in the next room.

                "It's going to blow your minds," I exclaim, bouncing over to the fridge, carefully prying it open. "The first tier is double dark chocolate-"

                "The first tier," Holden teases, mocking my voice. "How long did this take you?"

                "A while, so don't touch it," I laugh. I'm pretty proud of my creation. Triple tiered, with a lacy 'Happy Sixteenth Oksana' on top; it's one of the best cakes I've ever made. And that is saying a lot.