FOURTY NINE

A/N: the fact that you guys called me out for never posting before 9PM is honestly fucking hilarious 😂
But seriously tho for when book 3 gets published (idk when probably some time in January or some shat) when do you guys usually have the time to read??? Just let me know and I'll do my best to update around then but we all know my track record lmao

They followed Scott's guidance out to the tunnels where Argent had sent them a text saying they had the Beast and Parrish engaged in yet another fight, and Katherine kept a tight grip on Lydia's hand while following Liam closely as Scott wandered ahead.

The tunnels smelled musty, as they always did, and she could hear the occasional snarl from god-only-knows-how-far-ahead that made them stop, but only periodically. They couldn't afford to waste any time. Not when Mason's existence was at stake.

Katherine could feel the dull ache at her nose and the skin below her eyes as time went on, along with a slight headache, and she sighed. She knew that the next time her Dad saw her he was going to lose his shit, but she didn't really have the time to worry about it.

Unfortunately.

As she moved she could feel the bulges in her pockets pressing into her bruised sides — she'd filled them with several Kleenex packets and a tensor bandage incase her nose started bleeding while they ran, she could tie it around her nose as a last resort — and absentmindedly felt below her nose for anything. No fresh blood; thank God.

"Scott?" Liam whispered, and they all paused. "You hear that?"

Katherine strained her good ear, trying to figure out what was going on, but got nothing. "Someone's gonna have to tell me what it is," she hissed back.

"I heard that," Lydia murmured shakily, tightening her hand around Katherine's. "It sounds like electricity," she commented for Katherine's benefit.

"Lydia, save your voice," Scott instructed her gently, though he sounded worried too.

Katherine didn't even have a moment to think as two hand slammed into her shoulders and shoved her, along with Lydia, backwards and out out a giant puddle of water she hadn't even realized she'd stepped in — courtesy of no holes in the bottoms of her new shoes — and she felt herself slam into the tunnel's stone walls.

Before she could even move herself off it, someone else's hands grabbed her and yanked at her arm, pulling her sideways. She heard Theo's voice ring out, saying sorry you two, this isn't personal and then she was falling.

For a single moment, she was weightless before she felt the familiar feeling of Scott's hand as he grabbed her wrist, and suddenly that was the only thing that was holding her in the air. The very first thing she thought was motherfucker, that stupid god damn wrist just healed, but was soon thankful for it when she realized that she was suspended mid air in one of the maintenance tunnels, ready to fall several feet down into a concrete room with no door in sight.

Someone screamed loudly, and it took her a solid three seconds to realize that it had been her.

Oh god, oh god, oh god.

What the fuck. What the motherfuck. How does this happen twice in one year; how do I end up dangling from a cliff or a maintenance tunnel with my life completely and utterly dependent on a werewolf.

How does this even happen?

"Feel that, Scott?" She heard Theo ask, his tone of voice greedy. "That's Kanima venom."

Her heart sunk.

Fuck.

We're absolutely fucked.