CHAPTER NINE - SWEET DREAMS

CHAPTER NINE

SWEET DREAMS

How terrible is it to love something that death can touch.
- Yehuda HaLevi

It was one of those rare days without rain, the sun was high in the sky spreading warmth yet the wind was freezing. It didn’t feel like summer in England, it was more like autumn. Grace hugged herself in an attempt to block out the cold as she stood outside. Alex didn’t look like he was bothered by the weather, he had spent more time than her there and he was used to it by now. Things were still a little awkward between them but Grace decided to forgive him eventually. After all it wasn’t his fault that she ended up in a situation like this.

When he arrived that morning to bring the groceries he asked if she wanted to take a walk with him to get some fresh air, of course she knew that she was not allowed to leave Brahms alone but when he told her of their destination she instantly followed. She didn’t know where Brahms was at that moment so she decided to follow his example and leave him a note. It honestly felt good to be outside after so long, even the cold wind felt good.

The beautiful meadow, which was their destination, was only ten minutes away from the manor so she technically did not break any rules. It was such a beautiful spot for camping or a picnic and yet as she stood there looking at the white marble stone in the grass she was filled with sadness.

BRAHMS HEELSHIRE 1/12/1991 – 13/5/1999

It felt so strange standing above the grave of the child she was babysitting. Alex told her that they never found a body in the fire so the grave was empty, it was more like a monument his parents built to honor his memory. It was sad seeing the child’s grave knowing his soul never found peace, he was still clinging to this place torturing himself and his parents. Sometimes she wondered if he was aware that he was dead. What was keeping his soul here?

I usually come here every month with Mr. Heelshire, we clean the grave and bring flowers, Alex explained. It must be hard for Mr. Heelshire, she thought. He wasn’t fond of the doll but it was the only way to keep his son with them. She couldn’t even understand what was the connection between Brahms and the doll.

What about Mrs. Heelshire? She asked him.

She never comes here, was all he said. She could imagine why, she behaved as if her son never died and acted like he was still her eight year old boy. After twenty years she was still in denial, of course she would refuse to visit his grave. When Alex told her where they were going she decided to pick a few flowers from the garden, she was sure Mr. Heelshire wouldn’t mind. She helped Alex to get the dirt off the marble stone and when it was clean she placed the flowers around it like a halo. She wondered if he could sense her there, if he had any connection with that grave at all.

This time they took their time to walk back to the manor. Grace hoped she had not upset Brahms by leaving the house for such a short time or because she was with Alex. He would act strange lately every time Alex would come over, he was never really mad at her but he would keep an attitude for sometime. Speaking of attitude the first thing she noticed when she walked into the house was that the note she had left for him was torn in pieces on the floor. She sighed as she picked up the pieces of torn paper from the floor and threw them in the trash can.

Brahms? I’m back home, she called out but there no answer. She heard the back door and she saw Alex walking into the kitchen.

Is everything okay? He asked her,