CHAPTER FOUR - BRAHMS

CHAPTER FOUR

BRAHMS

RULES

1. NO GUESTS

2. ONLY ALEX IS ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE

3. CLEAN THE TRAPS

4. SAVE MEALS IN THE FREEZER

5. NEVER LEAVE BRAHMS ALONE

6. NEVER COVER HIS FACE

7. PLAY MUSIC LOUD

8. BRAHMS IS NEVER TO LEAVE

9. READ A BEDTIME STORY

10. KISS GOODNIGHT

It was a rainy evening and Grace felt cold, she covered herself with a blanket and sat by the window in the living room. Something fell from her pocket and when she picked it up she saw it was the rules Mrs. Heelshire had given her. She looked over the rules again and again wondering if the same rules had been given to the babysitters before her. Brahms is never to leave? How could he leave in the first place? She wasn't going to read a bedtime story to a doll or kiss it goodnight. It was ridiculous.

Grace had come to a decision, she would work as a housekeeper for as long as they were away. She would clean and she would keep the house warm for them, it was the least she could do so she doesn't feel like she was taking advantage of them. The sound of a car engine caught her attention and she looked outside the window to see Alex parking his car near the back door. Grace headed for the kitchen and she decided it was time for him to give her some answers.

Hey Grace, I'm glad to see you're still here, he said cheerfully but Grace wanted to get straight to the point.

We need to talk, she said crossing her arms over her chest.

I know I know, you have questions but first let me have a coffee. I've had a rough day at work, he said and he began making coffee for both of them, apparently he knew his way around the house very well. He set the cups on the table and sat next to her.

Well what do you want to know? He asked.

Everything, she stated simply.

Well it's a very long story, I don't even know where to start, he said laughing nervously.

Tell me about Brahms was he ever real or is he just a creation of their imagination? She asked honestly curious. She had seen a family portrait in the library with a much younger Mr. & Mrs. Heelshire and a young boy and she suspected that the first was possible.

He was real and he was their son. My brother went to school with him, they are the same age, he suddenly stopped and swallowed hard.

I guess they would be the same age if Brahms was still alive, he said trying to sound indifferent but she could tell from his body language that there was more into this story.

What was he like? She asked him. Alex struggled to find words but eventually he answered her question.

He was... quiet. Very quiet, he didn't have many friends but my brother used to hang out with him. He was that introvert kid at school that everyone made fun of but he was actually very talented. He liked music very much, my brother said he had never seen anyone playing the piano like him. He could play with closed eyes, he said lost in his thoughts. He suddenly stopped as if he just realized that he had revealed too much.