CHAPTER ONE - THE JOB

Author's Note

This is a fanfiction based off William Brent Bell's 2016 film The Boy. The story follows the main plot of the movie but with a different ending and new characters. I do not own any original characters from the film or the storyline, however I do own my original characters. This is my first attempt in fanfiction so please be patient with me, I will try to update frequently.

Thank you for reading!

Mondays have always been busy in New Jersey, people going to work, children going to school, people going shopping or running to pay bills. It was all over again every week. One of those people running around that morning was Grace Jones, she had left her house in such a hurry as if her life was depending on it, and if she was honest, her life was in fact, depending on it.

She arrived at the Job Center as soon as it was open for the week, she could not miss her appointment with Mrs. Warren. She waited patiently outside the office and hoped for a better luck this time. The woman walked in with a coffee in hand and looked to be in a sour mood but upon seeing Grace her face changed. Mrs. Warren smiled at her and led her inside the office.

Goodmorning Grace I hope you had a good weekend, the woman said kindly. Grace knew that she was trying to be nice but the question reminded her why she was here in the first place.

It was... okay, I suppose.. That was all she could answer and that was all Mrs. Warren needed to know. Grace knew from the look on her face that she could understand much more than she was willing to tell her.

Well I don't need to ask why are you here today, my guess is the last employment was not successful, the woman said. Grace sighed loudly and with a sad smile she found the courage to answer.

Unfortunately it wasn't, you can guess why... the last words came out almost a whisper. Mrs. Warren looked down at the papers in her desk. The report card from the last employer was a red flag this time. They had reported that a man had come inside the bakery and forcefully dragged, and manhandled the girl out of the store as he stated that she was never coming back to work there. The employer was more concerned about Grace than anything else, as was Mrs. Warren.

It wasn't the first time that this happened, Grace had been in several jobs for the past few months and every time things went well he got in her way. It was no secret that Grace lived with an abusive and very much mentally unstable young man, he had suffered a lot too but his behavior was by no means excused. Grace came from a wealthy family but after the tragedy that took away almost her entire family things changed. Her uncle, Harry Jones, was the only one she had, he had his own issues, he lost his family and was left to care for her. Apparently it was all too much for him and somewhere along the way he lost control, getting addicted to alcohol and drugs which resulted to an empty bank account.

His parents knowing his character had left most of their money to their older son, Grace's father, Ray. It was one of the reasons Harry started developing hatred for his dead brother and niece. Ray had made a contract which stated that everything he owned would pass to his daughter but she could have a limited access to her money until she turned 21. And that was how Grace and Harry survived until today.

Grace had been trying to reach for her freedom through work, the plan was to earn enough money so she can get away from her uncle. It was easier said than done. Mrs. Warren had send her to many different jobs but she knew that Harry would not let her stay at any job, he always ruined things for her afraid that she would earn her independence and leave him, and that was exactly what Grace intended to do.

Look, I know I've had many chances with jobs that didn't go well but I'm not giving up. I will do anything no matter how difficult it is, I will do it. Mrs. Warren could see both desperation and determination in Grace's eyes, she wanted to help the girl get away from him.

I have something in mind Grace, as you said yourself it will not be easy but I think it the best option for you. Mrs. Warren said as she made up her mind to help the girl.

You know I will do anything, Grace repeated, her eyes lit up with hope.

I have a family that is looking for a babysitter, they have an eight year old boy. Now I know you have done babysitting before but I have to warn you that he is a difficult child. The babysitters I have sent there before left bad reviews. Mrs. Warren warned.

I've had much worse than a difficult child, I think I can take it, Grace laughed bitterly.

It's not that simple, they don't want you to watch over him for a few hours, they want you exclusively there 24/7. You will move there, are you willing to do that? Mrs Warren saw the surprise in Grace's eyes but she knew she would not back down.

Of course I am, Grace answered without a second thought. Of course she would do anything that would give her an excuse to leave that miserable place she called home. She didn't need to say it, Mrs. Warren already knew and she had just made it clear.

Alright then if you agree to it then let me know when you are ready to leave for England, the woman said.

Excuse me? What do you mean? Grace asked confused, she was sure she had misunderstood something.

You heard me right, I'm sending you to England this time. You said you were willing to do anything, right? I think it's time to take your life in your hands and move away from people you don't need in your life before it's too late. Mrs. Warren, said. She had never been so straightforward with Grace but this time she was making an attempt to change the girls life so she had to be honest.

Thank you for this and thank you for everything you have done for me but you know my situation, I can't afford to even travel there. I wish I could but it's not possible, Harry would never let me -

I'll take care of that, you won't pay a single dollar. Mrs. Warren interrupted Grace. She had already thought of it and knew the girl could not afford traveling there, not with her uncle having control of every income in their house.

Are you sure you can do that? I mean I appreciate it but I don't want to be a burden to you... Grace said unsure if it was too much to accept. Mrs. Warren could tell that she was scared but she knew that the girl was ready to take that step.

Grace, you don't have to worry about me. It's your future you have to worry about. I know this man is the only family you have but for your sake you have to leave. I'm here for you and I'm willing to help you, all you have to do is tell me when you are ready to go. Mrs. Warren's determination surprised Grace, she felt as if she was ready to cry. It had been a long time since she felt that someone cared for her. She knew that she was right about every word she said, she had no future if she stayed with her uncle.

I'll do it then, I'm ready. Grace said. This might be the only chance she had to get away from this life and she wasn't going to waste it.