CHAPTER TWO - HOMECOMING

Grace had never traveled so far from home before, she felt tired but she didn't want to fall asleep. It was a long drive from the airport to the Heelshire manor. She was excited and scared at the same time. She wasn't sure what she was getting herself into, Mrs. Warren warned her many times that it would not be an easy job to babysit that little boy but Grace did not care at that moment, all she could think about was getting away from her miserable life.

Of course she knew that it was a seasonal job but with the potential to become something permanent. Even if that did not work she would save enough money to stay in England and find another job eventually. The possibility of starting a new life excited her and she didn't want to think what she had left behind.

It was almost an hour later when the castle came into view. It was massive and gloomy, even in the morning sun it looked dark and intimidating. It reminded her of those old haunted places she had seen in horror films.

We are here, the driver announced as he came to a stop in front of the manor. He was kind enough to come around and open the door for her, Grace thanked him as she got out of the car and looked around in awe. The foreboding castle was surrounded by a beautiful green garden, there were so many flowers, different kinds and colors, it was a stark contrast to the castle that looked lifeless. The driver moved her things outside the gate and he wished her good luck before he left, she didn't miss the strange look he gave before he got into the car.

Good morning, can I help you? A voice broke the peaceful morning silence and made her turn around, she saw a young man not much older than her walking over to where she was standing.

I'm here to see Mr. Heelshire, Grace began explaining but the man interrupted her.

Are you the new babysitter? He asked raising his eyebrows in surprise, Grace was confused by his reaction. He looked at her as if she was something alien.

Well, I guess I am. Is there... a problem? She asked nervously.

No! Nothing wrong don't worry, he laughed as he extended his hand to greet her. I just didn't expect someone so young and... well...

American? She joked noticing that he also had an American accent.

Yes to be honest, by the way I'm Alex. He introduced himself.

Grace, she said in return smiling. She found that Alex was an easy person to chat with, he did most of the talking so he made it easy for her.

He was twenty one years old and he was native american, his family owned the only grocery store around in that area. Grace came to the realization that it was a lonely place, there were no neighbors and the nearest town was half an hour away. As someone who was used to live in a crowded city it was a little bit scary but she tried to see the bright side, it was quiet and she could enjoy the green scenery as much as she liked.

Alex led her inside the manor, they came to a massive living room with a beautiful fireplace. The castle might have looked like a ghost from the outside but it was cozy and warm inside. Red and gold were the primary colors of the decoration, the walls were decorated with stones and wood as was the beautiful staircase that was an artwork itself. The entire house was as if it had come out of the victorian era. On the other side of the room, between the luscious red couches that matched the red tall curtains was standing a man in his late fifties. The man apparently lost in his thoughts did not notice that they had entered the room.

Mr. Heelshire, you have a guest, Alex announced making the man turn around.

Oh my apologies, thank you for bringing in our guest Alex, he said as he approached them.