Chapter 7

--- January 23, 07:30 ---

The next morning, Matthew opened the door to see Jace waiting for him. He walked over to the taller boy, waving at him with a smile.

"Why're you here?" Matthew asks as Jace grabbed his hand.

"Can't I walk you to school?" Jace smiles playfully at the brunette. "Plus, I wouldn't want that Sophie girl to harass you again."

Matthew rolled his eyes but he felt thankful that Jace would always be there for him. The two of them walk to school, hand in hand and chatting about some sports related topics.
When they arrived at the school's front gates, Matthew saw Alex waiting for him by a tree. The two boys bid farewell and Matthew made his way over to Alex.

"So, how did it go yesterday?" Alex asked in a hushed tone once Matthew was in front of him.

Obliviously, Matthew raised his brow. "How did what go?"

Alex looked at Matthew with disbelief, shaking the shorter back and forth gently by the shoulders. "Sophie's confession! You didn't accept it right?" Matthew shook his head and was about to ask another question when Alex shushed him. "Mate, you screwed up big time.. Nobody has ever rejected her and she's not taking your rejection well!"

"What can a spoilt brat like her do? Even if she tries to ruin my reputation, she doesn't know the first thing about me." Matthew shrugs off Alex's hands, offering him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry mate, I'll be fine."

--- January 23, 13: 55 ---

For the rest of the day, Sophie was constantly trying to get near Matthew. Luckily for him, either Jace or Zero would be close by to shield him from the blond. Matthew was starting to get annoyed with her as well and had thought of confronting her about it a few times, however he decided it would be best to just avoid her until this whole 'rejection issue' died down.

During their break, Matthew decided against sitting with his 'clique' and sat down in the corner of the canteen with Jace and Zero. A part of him did this so that Sophie would not get any chances to put pressure on him about the school's hottest topic at the moment, but deep down, he just wanted to be near Jace. Even though most stared at him as he sat down next to the school Alpha, a sense of warmth and safety always surrounded Matthew whenever he was near Jace.

Seeing this made Sophie's heart bubble with an overwhelming rage and she would have stormed over to them if Ian and Christian, Sophie's ex, weren't trying their best to comfort her and get her to calm down.

However, Alex was fed up with her shit.

Throughout the whole day, she had been complaining about the rejection in a faked tone of sorrow. He got up and excused himself, which nobody was even paying attention to, and walked over to join Matthew and the bad boys in the corner. 
Zero was the first to notice Alex walking over to them and a smile formed on his lips. Jace caught onto this and scoffed teasingly, nudging the blue-haired boy's leg from under the table.

"Who's the one simping now huh, Lover boy?" Zero growled at him as Matthew looked at the two in confusion. Jace looked like he was about to explain what the joke was to the brunette but stopped when Alex stopped, standing at their table with an awkward smile.

"H-Hey uhm.. Could I sit with you guys here? I'm kinda fed up by Miss Bimbo's complaining." Alex's tone was nervous as he tired not to look directly into Jace's intimidating gaze or at Zero. 

"Try looking somewh- Ow!"

"Sure mate, take the empty spot next to Zero." Matthew flashed a perfect smile at Alex while Jace rubbed his side.
Letting out a light chuckle at his best friend's antics, Alex sat down and nodded a 'hello' to Zero. As the two boys sitting opposite him argued playfully, Alex glanced next to him to see Zero staring at him. A faint blush dusted his cheeks and his awkward smile returned.

"What? Is there something on my face?" Alex joked and covered the bottom-half of his face with his hand. Zero didn't respond and just shook his head before looking across the table, letting out a snicker. Alex turned his head to see what was funny until he saw Matthew trying to hit Jace [To get back at him for teasing him about what happened when he walked Matthew home and was caught by his brother].

"You fight like an old married couple." Alex commented with a laugh. "Looks like you've been tamed Mr Bad Boy." 

--- January 23, 15:08 ---

School was over and Matthew was waiting by the gates for his brother to come pick him up. Jace and Zero had detention and Alex had already left, leaving Matthew all alone. A strange feeling washed over Matthew as he looked around.

The streets were quiet, almost too quiet..

He began to feel uncomfortable, like someone was watching him, and was about to call Zach when he saw the familiar red Ferrari that belonged to his brother coming to a stop next to him. The brunette sighed in relief and got into the vehicle. 
"What took you so long?" Matthew complained, "It's creepy to wait alone with everything so  quiet."

Zach rolled his eyes and started to drive them back. "What? Scared some kidnapper will jump out and take you away?" He joked, but Matthew shivered at the thought.

"P-Piss off.."  He stuttered, trying to stop himself from overthinking. 

They drove the rest of the way home in silence.
Matthew didn't speak for the rest of the day, he kept having this uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach but didn't want his parents to worry about him. 

'Maybe my hallucinations are back?' Matthew wondered as he lay in bed that night. He had been tossing and turning, trying to fall asleep. 'No, that's impossible.. This feels more real..'