ten: trails

"You're joking right?"

"I am not."

"You are too. Chase is never interested in a girl." Milan says. "Ever."

"I'm offended, Milan." I huff out, getting frustrated. Why wouldn't he believe me? "Get out of my room."

He chuckles from my bed and only makes himself more comfortable. I felt guilty when he sounded hurt that I didn't tell him about the whole assault thing in school. So I'd decided to tell him about what happened in Chase's room. Bad decision, because now I'm being mocked at.

"Okay, okay. Sorry." I can still hear his amusement though.

I continue doing my biology assignment that was given to us before the break. Well, technically Christmas break hasn't started yet, but I figured I'd be ahead of the work.

"Buuut," Milan drags out the word.

"Ugh, what now?"

"Let's check with him." Milan grins.

"Are you mad?" I turn around from my table and watch him pulling out his phone. "No!" With quite an impressive speed, I shoot out my chair and jump on the bed, trying to snatch the phone out of his hand.

"But, why" He pushes my face with his other hand earning an angry grunt from me. "not?"

"Just no, okay?" Before I can get any further, he pushes me off the bed and I can hear the phone ringing on the other side.

I sit on the floor, horrified, as I imagine what Chase would say. Maybe it wasn't such a big deal for him. Maybe he'll deny it. It would hurt, but if I start assuming that from now, it might make it easier for me to deal with it.

"Hey Chase," Milan kicks my shoulder lightly with his toe to get my attention back. He switches it loudspeaker.

"Hey man, what's up?" Chase says from the other side. I smile for no reason. I get up and sit back on the bed beside Milan.

"What are you doing?" Milan asks.

"Just running some errands for my mom. Why?"

"No reason." Milan is grinning.

"What's going on dude?" Chase is not stupid. He probably knows that Milan doesn't make random calls to know about his whereabouts.

"What is this I hear about you and my sister?"

The phone goes silent. No sound of a movement whatsoever is heard from the other end. Milan and I wait for him to reply. I'm feeling nervous.

"Who told ya that?" Chase finally asks.

"My secret spy who I've hired to follow you around."

"What?"

"My sister, you fool. Who else?"

"Oh." There are a couple of more moments of silence. "What'd she say?"

"That you guys did stuff."

"I'm sure she didn't say it like that." Chase sounds relieved.

"Well is it true?"

"Are you saying your sister is lying?"

"Just answer the question."

"Yes. I really like your sister, man."

Milan looks over at me, and I can't stop smiling.

"Wait till I see you. I'm going to kick your skinny arse."

"What why?"

"How dare you try your bad tricks on my sister?" Milan is only half joking. I slap his face hard. I am just as old as he is.