seventeen : fine and forgotten

After almost twelve hours, we finally landed in Providence. Mum had everything planned out and payed for, so the minute we left the airport we were in a taxi heading towards our apartment. I didn't speak to either of them unless absolutely necessary.

It was unrealistic, how my own mother was moving the family to another country so that I might get another chance with a boy who could have been my boyfriend. It was also touching, how Mum tried to do these things to keep me happy. Neither of them bothered to give me all the details. Through painful eavesdropping, I found out that Milan initially wanted all of us to go to Seattle but Mum wouldn't budge. She wanted me to be near Chase and experiencing a normal college education.

I don't know what strings she pulled or how much money she paid, but I was already enrolled at the same college that Chase is attending. Even though it sounds ungrateful, sometimes I hate how rich we are.

We reach the flat, which has already been decorated to feel like home. I'm just starting to realise that maybe Mum had this planned for us from the minute I came home with a broken leg.

Milan takes our bags from the taxi driver who helped (Mum probably payed him too) and closes the door. They look around the house, taking in the feeling. That just annoys me even more. How can they stand here seeming peaceful and ready to begin again when Dad is at home, alone and probably missing us?

"Do you want some water?" Mum asks as she heads to the kitchen.

"Yep." Milan answers her and proceeds to open up the windows.

Why are they so comfortable? My frustration finally breaks through. I drop my crutches on the carpeted floor dramatically and plop onto the sofa. "I don't bloody understand!"

Milan turns to look at me and Mum hurries back into the living room. "What's wrong, Meira?"

"Why are we even doing this? We should be at home, fixing things with Dad. Not moving to another country and starting over, trying to pretend like everything's fine and forgotten!" I stare into both of their eyes willing them to give me a valid reason. "What are you lot not telling me?"

Mum sighs and comes over to sit beside me. She tries to take my hand in hers, but I pull away. "Things with your father have become complicated, honey. In short, he has a lot of secrets and he's not prepared to share them with us." She adds, "Yet."

"What about Zahid? Is anyone even trying to find Bansik anymore?"

Milan grunts, "I told you before, Zahid is in prison. Stop thinking about him."

"Of course!" Mum exclaims indignantly."We have an entire team of police officers searching for Bansik. He's quite stealthy, that man. And he has a lot of connections."

"Does he know that we are here?"

"I'm sure he does. And I'm sure he will try to take you away again. But this time you will be safer." says Mum.

"So I have to go to college with a bunch of body guards following me around?" I purposefully let out a sigh so they know how tedious I find this.

"Yes." Mum's voice is stern. "That's the only way you'll be safe. We are not changing that."

"How am I supposed to catch up? We're in the middle of the year."

"I have asked a friend of mine to tutor you. She's excellent at it." Mum smiles but doesn't get one back in return.

I stare at my feet for a couple of seconds. So much for a 'normal' college education.

"Fine." I bend down and pick up my crutches. I hop over to the room that they said was mine. Just before entering, I peek out and say, "Once this foot heals, I'm taking karate classes."