Chapter 9- Sick Day

Julie's POV

Oh no. No, no, no. Nick was walking towards me, and he looked angry. I grabbed Flynn's arm and started backing away.

"Julie, what are you doing?" Flynn asked. "It's just Nick."

"I'll explain later," I whispered. "But right now, we need to run!" I grabbed Flynn's hand and took off, dragging her down the hallway. I looked back and saw Nick running after us, even angrier then before. I shoved people aside, ignoring their angry protests and comments.

"Julie!" He yelled angrily. "You can't keep avoiding me forever!" My legs felt like they were about to collapse, but I ran even faster, keeping my grip on Flynn's hand so she didn't fall behind.

When we rounded a corner, I saw a small janitor's closet. I dragged Flynn inside and hastily shut the door, making sure it didn't slam.

"Jules, wh-" I slapped my hand over Flynn's mouth. A few moments later, I heard Nick run around the corner and down the hallway, the sound of his footsteps getting softer and eventually mingling with the chatter of teenagers in the hallway. I let out a sigh of relief and removed my hand from Flynn's mouth.

"Jules, are you okay? You're shaking," Flynn said. I looked down at my hands to see that they were indeed shaking violently. I shook them out and took a deep breath.

"Yeah, I-I'm fine," I said, my voice cracking.

"No, Julie, you're not," Flynn said sternly. "What did you do to Nick? Why are you so afraid of him?" I groaned, knowing there was no way Flynn would let this slide.

"It started the day after we played the Orpheum," I said, sitting on an overturned bucket. "Nick came to my house with flowers, to congratulate me, but he was acting... off." Flynn squinted.

"Off, how?" She asked.

"I don't know," I said. "Then out of the blue, he cornered me against a wall, but after a few moments he got a hold of himself and left. I managed to avoid him at school for a week, until he came to my house a couple days ago at eight o'clock at night."

"What did he want?" Flynn asked quietly.

"He... he wanted to know where the guys were. He knows they're ghosts, Flynn. When I denied it, he grabbed my arm but I managed to yank it away and hide under my deck," I finished. "I hadn't seen him again until... well, just now."

Flynn gasped, her eyes tearing up. She leaned down and hugged me.

"Oh, Jules, I have no idea why he's doing this. Is this why you took a different route to your locker?" I only nodded, my hands still shaking. Flynn sighed.

"Maybe you should go home," she said softly. "Your dad doesn't have to know, and I can tell your teachers you're sick so they won't call home." I looked at Flynn with tears in my eyes.

"You'd do that for me?"

She grinned. "I'm your best friend, it's kind of my job." I giggled and sniffed, wiping my eyes with my sleeve.

"Come on," she said, pulling me to my feet. "I'm gonna go tell the teacher you're taking a sick day and I'm gonna make sure you're okay before coming to class."

"Sounds convincing enough," I said. Flynn let out a small chuckle and walked me to our home from. I waited outside while Flynn told her lie, trying to calm down, but my hands wouldn't stop shaking. After a few minutes, the last of the students went to class, leaving the hallway totally empty. Flynn came out of the classroom and put her arm around my shoulders.

"Let's get you home," she said as we walked back to my locker.