Chapter Twenty-Six

Vic

There's an overly enthusiastic knock on the door which startles me and leaves me confused. As curious as I am, I'm so wallowed into my depression right now that I consider not answering. But the knock repeats. Convinced by the persistence of whoever is outside, I walk over to the door and pull it open. I find Jenna grinning back at me. Her smile alone is exhausting but I'm also pleased to see her. I could really use a pick-me-up right now.

"What's with the knock?" I croak tiredly.

I take note of the tray of coffee and shopping bag in her hand.

"Figured it would be the last time I ever knock on this door, so I thought I'd make the most out of it." She beams. "Don't worry, I checked that Kellin was at work,"

"Hence the coffee," I point out, distracted from her strange statement by the cafe's logo printed on the takeaway cups.

"Exactly," she chirps, holding out the tray.

I take the cup closest to me and just as I'm about to take a much needed mouthful, I notice writing on the lid of my drink.

'I LOVE YOU xx'

I can't help but to smile. I have the sweetest husband. I finally take a sip of my coffee and it's perfect. I wonder if Kellin made it himself.

"You wanna come inside?" I ask Jenna, suddenly feeling a lot better and a lot more awake.

"Nope." she chirps confusing me.

She then sits down where she is and places her coffee to the side.

"Sit." she instructs.

I'm beyond confused, but do as she says. I sit down in front of her as she starts pulling things out of the shopping bag and placing them on the ground.

"Are you going to tell me what's happening?" I chuckle.

"Yes," she chirps, taking a drill set out of the bag. "I bought you guys a doorbell. You're going to help me install it."

"Oh," I say surprised. A doorbell is a great idea. Honestly, I feel stupid I didn't think of it myself. "You didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to. I wanted to do something for Kellin and I wanted to spend some time with you." She explains.

"Spend some time with me?" I frown. "Why?"

"Uh because you're my friend and I love you, dufus." she laughs. "And I wanted to see how you are doing."

I see the moment of concern in her eyes so I snatch up the doorbell box and open it up, trying to focus on something other than her pity.

"I'm doing fine." I tell her, emptying out the contents of the box and picking up the instructions.

"You don't look fine." she murmurs.

"Thanks." I say sarcastically.

"No, I just mean, you look tired. Kellin told me you haven't been sleeping very much." she explains, as she begins setting up the drill.

"Great, so now I'm being gossiped about behind my back." I mutter.

"Vic, it wasn't like that." she says sadly. "He's worried about you, that's all."

"He doesn't have reason to be." I mumble.

She doesn't say anything else and we work in near silence to install the doorbell. I'm tired and the last thing I want to be doing is engaging in social interaction and partaking in a tedious task. I just want to go to bed and lay there. But a coffee, Jenna's smile and Kellin's note has lifted my spirits enough to manage this for now.